help!

biggdriver

It was not that long ago I too went to the lfs and wanted to set up a reef tank..They seemed to have all the answers until I came to this board..I would take most peoples advice on this board over one or two people at the lfs.When I asked what kind of filter I should be using He suggested a 500.oo wet/dry combo with skimmer because ----that is what he always has used..---When I asked about a refugium he was very agitated and said I would be wasting my money...How can this be when I won't be buying a wet dry saving the money....After several meetings and talking to people on this board and then going back with the knowledge I gained here..He confessed He too would like to try that kind of set-up BUT IT WONT GET HIM THE SALES on the wet-dry...NEEDLess to say I won't be going back there anymore..
Get yourself a different store or one that is up TO DATE on the current happenings of the way the hobby is going..
As for your tank Iwould definitely take out the bio wheeels BUT SLOWLY not all at once you don't want to make matters worse...ADD a DSB,,and yes it can be dead sand THE LIVE ROck will seed it with iverts and bacteria that is why it will bubble and turn colors but this will take some time...in the mean time do water changes to keep the nitrates from going even higher and cut back on the feeding alot..and also ad a refugium..this doesn't have to cost a lot of money just do a search for refugium on this site..

biggdriver

by the way maybe you should see if you can find some info on dsb and refugiums and take it to your lfs...THey might appreciate the help!!!!!!

fshhub

surfinsam, you said it yourself, the bio wheels convert into nitrates, that's it, what about removing nitrAtes? that is where a good dsb comes in
chris, you got replies, it just took a couple of hours for a lot of people to get to your question(some of us work)
and burnnspy said it best, one thing about your lfs, is that most of them are clerks(not even salesmen), they are programmed by the owners and or the suppliers, most of which willgive you opinions on what you can read on the shelf behind them, only prob ther is, DO YOU BELIEVE EVERY ADD YOU SEE?,
and beyond that, most of them(if they have any kind of business) only keep fish for a few days, that is easy when they move the fish around and change the water every couple of days, mine looked at me stupid and said "HUH", when i asked him about cycling after we killed 300$ worth of fish by his advice then he called marine biologists and his breeders(after icalled a friedn who was a marine biologist and prof at alarge college) jsut to prove me wrong; anyhow he did give me almost full credit
NOW there are some good lfs's out there, but they are very hard to find, and their advice will reflect what you read here
and tiffany please stay with a reef, you'll really love it, for best advice, come here we will alltry to help and when a shark talks listen, they have a great deal of knowledge, and nothing to loose except thier jobs(if they mislead us, and i don't think they are in it for the money, if there is any for moderating), don't get me wrong it is not easy(or difficult) only a commitment which takes patience(that is actually the hardest part)
remember none of us here have a thing to gain, especially those who are not constantly mentioning any one product(and or do not try to solicite)
sorry so long, but
HTH

Ok, everyones info is great. Tiffany, I've had the same problems your having. I now add micro algae to my tanks. It will also remove nitrates. And feed yor fish.

fshhub

actually, it is macro algae, ithink he is referring to, and your lr will likely grow some, and it can be purchase at most lfs's, online, or if you know someone else, who is a reefer or any local reef clubs, often they willl share, especially with newcomers to their groups

adrian

Tiff, micro algae is the aglae that grows on your glass, macro algae is algae like Caulerpa sp., Halimeda sp. ect. which can be bought from your LFS, may appear on quality LR, or obtained online or there may be a reefer in your area with some extra. HTH

adrian

He must be refering to macro algae ;) The addition of macro algae in a tank or refugium can be used as a form of nutrient export since it sucks things like nitrates, phosphates, ect. when it grows. When you harvest the macro algae you are in a sense removing these. HTH

blackdog

[tangential message]
Just wanted to check in and compliment everyone on a super thread. What a great resource this place is.
I've been keeping a freshwater 38 gal tank for years without putting in much effort. Just brought home a new 55 gal, and am trying to decide whether to try a making it a reef. It sounds like a fascinating, aggravating, expensive, wonderful hobby. I will post a new thread later with my planned setup for advice once I'm more informed. The good part is that I can start from scratch with all this great info at my hands. Sounds like the deep sand bed method is something of a revolution in marine tanks that many store owners are not up to speed on.
Tiffany, if you ever find a good LFS, I'd like to know, because I'm not far from Andover. I'm realizing the store in my town is not at all prepared to provide marine advice.

adrian

I think they are only unsuitable for reef tanks in that they eat small fish, shrimp, and can perch on corals.

tiffany

BlackDog, please let me know as well if you find somewhere good? There is suppose to be an amazing place in Cambridge, but I haven't been there yet. It is somewhere near the Cambridge Side Galleria Mall. It is all salt water fish. There is also a few places in NH that sell reef things, but they are kind of far.
Well, everyone else...I has been a few days since I added the live rock. It seems to be ok, but when I added the rock I also added a few hermit crabs to start cleaning out the sand. Well they are either moving slow or dead. A few of them are just kind of hanging out of their shells. I don't think they died because they are not always out of their shells. Is there any way to tell?!?! Ugh...

kris walker

Hi Tiffany,
Glad to hear of your LR purchase. You won't be disappointed once your tank matures. Are you checking the levels of ammonia/nitrite? If they are high, and your hermits aren't moving, they are probably dead. If you lift one of them up, does their body seem to move around in the shell a little? If so, it is prob. dead.
Good luck,
sam

blackdog

Hi Tiffany,
I don't have any recommendations in the area yet -- just anti-recommendations. I won't mention any names, but the shop in my town, which is well known for reptiles, is not a good choice for marine knowledge, or for friendly service. However, I just wrote to a place I saw on ---- based in Hartford. I don't think I can post a link, but search for live rock and you should find it. E-mail me blackdoggraphics@mediaone.net if you want more info.
--Dave