Help

kathyc

I just added my new Foxface to my tank and my brown powder tang instantly attacked him. I got the foxface out. Is there a way I can intruduce him to the tank and avoid another fight? I'm hoping he didn't get the tang with his vemon. How long will it take for him show symptoms if he did? It was the tang starting the fights! HELP!!

tank a holic

float him in the DT, see how the tang acts, rearrange the rockwork to break up territories, add him to the tank with the lights off and leave them off for a while
good luck

kathyc

My tank is 30 gallons with about 20 of rock. I am going to try to rearrange things and see if this helps. I was just trying not to stress the tang to much so he wont break out in ick! I'm gonna try moving things around and turning lights off. If the foxface wasn't venomous I wouldn't be so stressed out. He has a slight advantage over the tang. Both are small, but fearless! How long should it be before I know if the foxface got the tang with vemon?

meowzer

WOW...part of the problem may be the size tank.....It may be too small for both those fish to be together....as a matter of fact it is probably too small for the tang.

meowzer

What type of foxface did you get? They even list them as minimum of 70-75 gallons...Do you have a bigger tank that you plan on moving them to?
I know some people get their foxface fish really small, let them eat their algae, and then return them before they outgrow their tanks...

kathyc

Yes, but I am going to be switching them over to my 55 gallon some. Just have to finish getting it ready. I am switching it from fresh to salt. The only reason I got the tang now is because he is small. I don't have any saltwater stores where I am. I have to travel about an hour to get to some. I was in a store and saw him. He is so pretty and he is small, so I thought he would be ok until I finish with the 55 gallon. He seamed very happy and content until about 30 minutes ago. I changed things around and cut the lights out. The foxface is back in and so far so good. The tang seems more concerned with the change of things. Keep your fingers crossed.

kathyc

The foxface is faded from the stress. Do you think the tang reacted like this because he appears to be of the same color and type? I've read the will not get along with other tangs of the same color and shape. Hope if this is it that when the foxface gets his color back that will help. They are still on seperate sides of the tank.

kathyc

Probably just these 2 if they can work it out, a clown fish, lawnmower blenny, and maybe a shrimp goby. Oh and the hermit crabs and snails. The tang is out swimming, the foxface is still hiding.

kathyc

Well, things seem to have calmed down. The tang is out swimming and the foxface is coming out some. The tang will charge up to the foxface, but will turn around and go the other way before he gets all the way to him. I have been reading on some other sites that other people had this to happen, but after about a day or so they seemed to have become best buds. On my previous post, I put that I would be putting them in the 55 gallon some. I meant soon. Sorry about the typo!

outsdr2

Hi
I had a similar experience with a butterfly and powder blue. the powder was relentless and was really battering the butterfly. I tried all the above. finally the butterfly found a place to hide in the rockwork and was able to repel the attack by aiming his dorsal towards the powder. evidently it is painful because it effectively ended the hostlity. Basically any powder is going to be viscous to a new tankmate. Things should calm in the next day or two. Good Luck.

kathyc

he will be going into a 55 gallon this weekend and when he appears to be getting to big for that I will carry him to the LFS. He is still small now though. I bought him knowing that I would be upgrading to the 55. The closest store is about an hour from my house. I was there and saw him and hated to pass him up.

stoss

If i have a problem introducing new fish to the tank, i hang a mirror on one side of the tank. fish will go after their own species before they go after anything else. after a few days remove the mirror.