Herbivorous dog?

nordy

My "American Brown Dog", on the left in my avatar is a grass eatin' fool! She started this the first spring after I got her from the shelter in Dec of 2006. As soon as the grass starts growing in the spring she just gobbles it down. She only eats the nice tender green shoots, going for the best, freshest, and nicest looking clumps she can find and when it fades out in the summer heat and stops growing in the winter, she doesn't eat any at all. She is great health (if a little overweight) and doesn't throw up the grass or have any other "digestive issues"; she just loves grass.
Anybody else have a dog like this?

geridoc

Yeah, we had a Bouvier des Flandres who ate grass and leaves from my wife's perennial garden. When I asked our vet about it, he said that dogs were really omnivorous, and would eat veggies, meat, whatever, and not to worry.

My overweight puggle is actually on a veggie diet now , not only does he have hypothyroid , but has a borderline sugar problem [ vet doesn't want to call it diabetes] , but he loves grass , alphalfa , green beans , asparagus and soy beans....he lost 7 lbs. in 2 months on his diet and is walking much better as his hip was giving him issues.

nordy

Goldie does love any kind of vegetable, like asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, string beans, corn, onions, etc, etc-as long as the veggies are cooked she will scarf them down, with no butter or sauces at all, just plain boiled veggies. Fruit also-oranges, apples, banannas, strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, etc. I don't give her too many veggies or fruit so as not to upset her digestion, but she eats a couple of servings every day. It's basically anything that I eat, she will eat, but she really seems to enjoy the veggies and fruit!

al mc

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
http:///forum/post/3020476
Yeah, we had a Bouvier des Flandres who ate grass and leaves from my wife's perennial garden. When I asked our vet about it, he said that dogs were really omnivorous, and would eat veggies, meat, whatever, and not to worry.
Absolutely correct.

This was as fat as my puggle was...57 lbs. for a dog that measured 15" at his withers ....but is down to 50lbs and losing even more weight
every friday he gets an apple with peanut butter...hehe.... I make his homemade dog food with his favorite , green beans , with asparagus , soy and a tiny bit of cooked brown rice.