Hermit crabs eat coraline?

mblann1960

Do hermit crabs eat coraline?
I'm new to this hobby, and I have only a few live rock, some hermit crabs and two clown fish. The dark purple stuff on my rocks, coraline? It's seems to be dissapearing. Do the crabs eat it?
If so, how can I stop them?
Thanks!

morval

i dont think crabs eat it. never seen mine do it or heard of it b4. what kind of lighting do u have and how long has tank been set up ?

Originally Posted by mblann1960
http:///forum/post/2569273
Do hermit crabs eat coraline?
I'm new to this hobby, and I have only a few live rock, some hermit crabs and two clown fish. The dark purple stuff on my rocks, coraline? It's seems to be dissapearing. Do the crabs eat it?
If so, how can I stop them?
Thanks!
Depending on your lighting. If your coraline is dissapearing you might not have enough calcium in the system..

mblann1960

I have a 30 gallon tank, with a current satellite light fixture. I don't have much live rock, just a few pieces right now. But for weeks, it has been a pretty red color, with some dark purple areas.
I noticed that some of the red is "going away" just leaving a plain rock surface.
According to my LFS, the water is fine. Hermit crabs crawl on top of these rocks and appear to be eating.
I was wondering, since my tank is only about 7 weeks old, is there enough "food" for crabs to eat? I only have two small clown fish right now, and a few snails and the crabs.
What do crabs eat? and should I feed them a little?
Also, what about calcium?
How is that introduced?
Sorry for all the questions.
I'm new to the hobby.
Thanks in advance!

bang guy

Hermit Crabs are omnivores. Perhaps the ultimate omnivore. They can eat algae (including coralline), bacterial film, fish food, snails, dead fish, other Hermit Crabs, detritus, etc.

flower

Never ever dose your tank with anything until you test for it, then if the test reads low..THEN add the additive. Master test kits are cheapest. Watch for expiration dates.
Test kits eeded:

• PH

• Alkalinity or KH (kind of same thing)

• Phosphates

• Calcium

• Nitrates
    Ammonia
    Nitrites
    Also check
    temperature
    SG

wilioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/316610/hermit-crabs-eat-coraline#post_3317609
Hermit Crabs are omnivores. Perhaps the ultimate omnivore. They can eat algae (including coralline), bacterial film, fish food, snails, dead fish, other Hermit Crabs, detritus, etc.
seeing as i have no fish to 'produce' detritus, could i just use my daughters betta fish food, and drop some of those pellets for the crabs? im not sure if my live rock has 'enough' coralline , and if it does, i kind of want the coralline to stick around.. right?

geoj

I cant really see the pic but red and fussy makes me think cyano or red hair algae. You can brush cyano off

geoj

It can be a prob but you have the right cuc and it is part of the tanks cycling it should go away on its own if you are keeping the waste numbers down. ( phosphate silicate nitrate )
Google Coralline algea