Hey!

slick

Well YAE4Volcom To answer your question. The rock will most likely be a brown or gray color. Now once it is covered in coraline algae it will be a purple color.

Y

yae4volcom

How long does it take to become un grey and brown? It's pretty expensive so I dunno if I should get anything else besides that........My science teacher has it and its ugly.....but he allso has fish that are unreefsafe so i guess they screw it up

clarkiiboi

If you are going to the LFS and can pick your rock, try to get some with coraline already growing on it. If not, or even if 1 piece comes with some coraline on it, the time varies it depends on circulation, calcium levels and so on. No set time limit, welcome to the joys of SW! LOL:)

Y

yae4volcom

There should be a couple places around here.....looking in the phone book and saw some saltwater specialty shops.......is it usually cheaper or the same or more expensive when you buy it in a store?

bdhough

Depends on the deal and the store. Prices can range from 5-9 dollars a lb. It also depends on how much you get in one sitting. Usually stores cut you a deal with 25 lbs and up.
BTW Unreefsafe usually means that a fish/invertabret will eat whatever corals you happen to buy, or will hunt your precious shrimp and crabs or the other way around shrimp hunting fish. THe larger your tank is the less of a factor this is. Most life that you buy for your tank will nibble on the rock regardless because the rock contains microalgae after a time. What you DO NOT WANT is something that eats coraline algae, ie purple stuff. Thats bad.

Y

yae4volcom

I guess he has a bunch of them because he sure doesnt have purple stuff. Anyway........is live sand required because I read somewhere that you can get regular sand and it will eventually turn into live if you have lr......Which should I use? Live or nonliving:confused: still got a ways to go before i get my tank setup......gotta get the money too:D

Y

yae4volcom

Howcome it says peppermint shrimp by my name? I dont even like them:rolleyes: