Hi Folks! its been a while!!! and need some help!

loopy101

Hi everyone! How has everyone been?!?!?! well i have been gone now for around 8 months or so! living between my house and my ex g/fs but anyhow through the months my tank has been over grown with algrea chalapora? i know i cant spell lol .... but through the last couple of weeks i have been digging the corals out and getting them free from this algea. i am in the process of finally setting up a larger tank. but all the live rock that has algea on it is there anyway of getting rid of this stuff? i will be buying alot more live rock for the DT and putting some of my algea covered live rock in the sump but some i would like to use in the DT so i am wondering if there is any way of killing the algea off the live rock with out killing the rock iteself? how would be the best way of going about this?
thanks for any thoughts and help!!!

meowzer

HEY LOOPY....how ya been....I have no idea what you have...lol....just wanted to say HIIIIIII
Do you have a pic of this algae????

geoj

There is no real way to do what you want. You can remove it by hand but it will likely grow back.

xcali1985

I would say the best thing to do is, start up your other tank and remove the corals from the old. Since there is no longer anything to feed in it, algae will consume all the nutrients and die off. You can speed this up by also eliminating light from the tank. Once the algae is gone, take each rock out one by one and scrub with a toothbrush to try to remove as many spores as possible and rinse them in fresh saltwater. Then place into your tank.
If you need the space where the tank is for your new tank a rubbermaid tub will do with a heater and powerhead.

loopy101

well just for curiosity sake. what if i took the rock out of the water completely killed it let it bake in the sun or even boil it to kill everthing on it. would that be enough to kill the algea off for good? i really dont want to kill the rock but in the long run would be cheaper then replacing it all!?!?!
And Hi meowzer how have you been???

flower

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3276912
Siganus unimaculatus
one spot foxface rabbitfish will eat it.

LOOPY! How have you been indeed...so you abandoned us for a GF, and now that she is gone you are back? LOL.
I agree with Spanko, a foxface will eat it up fast. I wanted that algae in my tank, and the fish ate it right up. I had two tangs, and with the pigmy angelfish, the algae doesn’t have a chance. So any really good algae eater type fish (not a lawnmowr blenny) will make quick work of your problem.

loopy101

Ha ha Flower i was living in two places 2 hours away from home and at home sometimes depending how my work schedule was! my tank is what really got abandoned! but it feels good to be back in the tank and setting up another larger tank!!!
And i think i will do some more reasearch on the fox face and maybe go that route!

flower

Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/3276928
Ha ha Flower i was living in two places 2 hours away from home and at home sometimes depending how my work schedule was! my tank is what really got abandoned! but it feels good to be back in the tank and setting up another larger tank!!!
And i think i will do some more reasearch on the fox face and maybe go that route!

Fox face rabbit are cool fsh I one years ago.
I’m glad your back…On my end…My heater broke and electrocuted my tank a little over a month ago. The only coral I have left are some true Blue mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, some zoa and the metallic striped mushrooms, and a small bit of the Kenya tree I got from you.
However I didn’t lose any fish. I am so glad I had GFI outlets on everything, or nothing would have survived. I just replaced my CUC a week ago. I didn’t want to add to the dead and dying, so I waited until all had stabilized before I added anything. …now to replace my coral. BIG SIGH..so much money.