high nitrates in tap water

crabbie

The water from my tap as has high nitrates.I had been using it for water changes til I checked it. my lfs sells tank water for .25 cents per gal without salt. This seems to be a pain to make water changes for a 150 gal tank also not cheap.Is there a better way? thanks

With a 150 gallon tank, an RO or RO/DI unit will actually save you money in the long run. With a 150 gallon tank, doing your water changes at one month intervals, you have paid for the RO or RO/DI unit in less than 2 years, in the money you would have spent paying for someone elses water, that you don't know for sure is RO water. Sounds like a sound investment to me...;)

crabbie

A little more info wood be great. Where does one get a unit ,cost ,install, holding tank size. Any info at all would be great.How much room do I need? what does it do. Thanks again

Actually, you can get a RO or RO/DI unit here on SWF, or shop around some for the best price/product.
An RO or RO/DI unit will remove all harmful chemicals, pesticides, metals, ect from your tap water. I personally use and prefer SpectraPure's systems. They are a little more expensive than the other companies that are out there, but If you'll look at all of the resteraunts and gas stations systems, they are SpectraPure.
As for storge, I am using a 55gal drum. It takes akot of room, but I always have water ready for those emergency situations.
I bought my 35gal per day system about six years ago for a little over $200, and it was worth every penny!

crabbie

Is it easy to install a unit ? Do I need a plumber? What do I use as a holding tank,will a large plastic trash can work? Will the unit always be on,or do you prep water a few days before a water change? Should you prep holding tank before using it? Thanks Crabbie

surfnturf

The units can be installed on most faucets using adapters, you could use the tap on the sink in the basement and run it into the plastic garbage can. It takes a while to get the RO water out of the unit, they are rated in GPD or gallons per day, the norm seems to be about 50 gpd so it may take a while. Do this a day or two in advance put in your salt and use a powerhead to stir everything up. As long as you keep the water covered you could let it sit for quite a long time before using it.