high ph level-help!!

G

gobie1313

I have a 125 gal reef tank,
my ammonia=o nitrates 0 nitrite=0
my ph is 8.8. I have been doing a 10% water change for thr past 4 days.
I can't get the ph level down.
Any suggestions

flricordia

What additives are you using? What water source? Using kalkwasser? Add any DIY LR lately? You can use vinegar, very sparingly because it can cause algae bloom. There are a couple other additives you can use to bring it down and maybe someone will chime in with what. I don't know myself.

G

gobie1313

The reason the ph is too high, due to my inexperience i kept on adding PH buffer, i thought this would target the ph be to be right on. Subsequently it raised it too high.
Killed all my invertabrates and soft corals.

flricordia

Originally Posted by gobie1313
http:///forum/post/2660169
The reason the ph is too high, due to my inexperience i kept on adding PH buffer, i thought this would target the ph be to be right on. Subsequently it raised it too high.
Sorry to hear it. Don't use buffers without checking here first. There are many that are very informative on this site, one such is Bang Guy, a moderator. Knows much about ph and alk. Really sorry to hear it. Many of us have goofed before. Learn from it. I would keep doing the water changes and stop using the buffer and start asking about additives here before using them again. Water changes should be good enough to start a tank with until you learn what is going on with the tank and ph correction, etc.

T

tizzo

Is the tank covered? You can try to "seal" the tank as best as you can from receiving fresh air. Your "tank" naturally emits carbon dioxide, and if left in the water, it will pull down the ph.
Suran wrap the top and the sump.
Alkalinity is the ability to neutralize acids. You have way to much and therefore you water is to much on the "base" side of the scale.
You need more acid. The vinegar that FLric mentioned is a good idea, but you have to add it slowly! It is a very concentrated acid.
It will counteract the "buffer".
I have never needed to add it, so I cannot tell you how much to try first.
If it were me, I'd try one single ounce and see if that makes a difference. Bring it down slowly, and critters you have in there will not benefit from a rapid pH drop, even if it is for their over all good.
And as you were already doing, the water changes. I'm thinking larger percentages wouldn't hurt.

silverdak

i have never seen any issues with adding the buffer, it says it will only raise it to 8.4 and hold there even if you over dose a lot... I believe it is working just fine. I dont have fish in the tank however. do I stop using it when the fish and inverts go in there??

bang guy

Originally Posted by gobie1313
http:///forum/post/2660169
Larger water changes will help. There is another way but not if you still have any delicate animals left in there. You could overdose Calcium and this will remove the buffer you added. The water changes really is the best way though.
What you need are Alkalinity and Calcium test kits. Only add the buffer when Alkalinity is low.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by SilverDak
http:///forum/post/2660385
i have never seen any issues with adding the buffer, it says it will only raise it to 8.4 and hold there even if you over dose a lot... I believe it is working just fine. I dont have fish in the tank however. do I stop using it when the fish and inverts go in there??
Put this on a smaller scale. Fill a bowl with tank water. A normal mixing bowl. Add about a teaspoon of "buffer". YOur pH will skyrocket.
It won't stop at 8.4

bang guy

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2660653
Put this on a smaller scale. Fill a bowl with tank water. A normal mixing bowl. Add about a teaspoon of "buffer". YOur pH will skyrocket.
It won't stop at 8.4
I just wanted to add that in my experience 1 out of 3 major problems I have solved with reef tanks of fellow hobbiests have been cause by adding buffer to fix PH. I'm becomming really really angry with the marketing of these products that state they "fix" PH. I can't tell you how irritating it is everytime I see this crap on the store shelves.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2660690
I just wanted to add that in my experience 1 out of 3 major problems I have solved with reef tanks of fellow hobbiests have been cause by adding buffer to fix PH. I'm becomming really really angry with the marketing of these products that state they "fix" PH. I can't tell you how irritating it is everytime I see this crap on the store shelves.
I agree Bang. The LFS OWNER here, pushes the stuff like it's crack! He didn't know a lot about the chemistry, so I tried to explain it (per his request) and he wanted to argue with me.

It says right here on the bottle...safely raises pH. It doesn't say anything about all that stuff YOUR taking about!