High phosphates trouble!

hawkfish203

I noticed algae growing and decided to do a few phosphate tests. My Ro water is reading 004ppm and I changed all the filters the end of March. My tank is reading anywhere from 2.5-5. I just put some Kent phosphate sponge in my Fluval. I know that that will only bring it down about 1 but figured it would help. I will take it out in the morning because I know it will suck up the phosphate up then leak it back into the tank if not removed. I also changed 30 gallons 2 days ago. Any other advice would be very helpful. THANKS!!!!

meowzer

HMMMM....it's kinda early for your filters to be reading 4 already, is your tds meter accurate? If so, you need to change the filters again...how about the main membrane? when did you change that last?
chemi-pure elite is good to use...also if you can not get a handle on the phosphates, a phosphate reactor may be a good investment for you

hawkfish203

How would I know if its accurate? I was thinking the same thing tho (too early). I changed the membrane in January I believe. I am running chemi-pure elite too. I have filter floss, purigen, and chemi-pure elite in my fluval. Its only a 4 chamber Ro system no DI. Should I get the DI to attach to it?

meowzer

I think you can calibrate them.....get a bottle of distilled ater and test it in that (I THINK)
YUP.....Just looked at mine, and there is a spot for calibration.....check yours

1guydude

Idk much about ur system.....but
i made a fuge out of a ac filter, really simple!
google ac refugium mod and get a lil fuge light, some marco algae and BAM got a hob fuge! imoe

hawkfish203

Yea mine has a screw in the back. I went to there site and it said they sell a solution that reads 332ppm to calibrate but if we know that distilled water reads 0 I can just use that right or should I change the filters and see if it reads 0???

hawkfish203

I took apart my RO system the sediment filter looks brandy new. I have to order new carbon filters but I will. I changed the sediment one anyway. I tried some stop and shop water I had but it read like 23.

hawkfish203

Changing the sediment filter brought it down to 002 so maybe when I get the carbon filters that will put it at 0. Do you think maybe buying the DI part will help not having to change it so much? Four months seems way too soon.