Highspeed internet/DSL

blueberryboomer

Hi guys/gals,
I was wondering what everyone uses and what your experience has been with it.
I thinking about switching from dialup and I don't even know where to start. I have done some searching on the net, but I'm a little confused.
I really don't want to pay a ton for equiment(sp), if I don't have to.
I was looking at one of our phone companies, it says there is no charge for equiment, but between 150-200 for installation if it is need. Has anyone ever installed this stuff and how hard is it?
Thanks in advance for any info....Lisa:confused:

bencc

Do you guy's not have cable internet access. That is what most including myself around here in Oklahoma use. It is a high speed connection through you cable tv line. The only thing you have to buy is the modem. The modems usually run around 70 bucks.

T

tizzo

The difference between dial-up and cable would be like comparing a hand saw to a 12" miter saw!!!

blueberryboomer

If cable is the only real choice I have, then I guess I'll be sticking to the dialup, the only way to get cable internet is if you subscribe to cable tv, we have the dish and I refuse to switch back. I checked it out and you need to be a cable subscriber here...Lisa

T

tizzo

Are you serious!! They wont just give you the internet service?? The cables are already ran, whatta waste.

nm reef

That bites!!! Who is the cable provider? I use cox cable and I'm positive that you don't "have" to use cable tv to get internet service. I really like the speed and performance of cable access...they ran a special with free intsallation and modem for like $35 a month. Way faster than my old dial up...and it is always on...no log on no waiting....

D

daniel411

Lisa,
I just recently had a high speed connection installed at my home. Its kind of a bummer, in Chesterfield, I was given the option of just Comcast or satelite... which is way to expensive.
Since you have satelite tv, instead of cable?, Comcast will charge you a 50% premium. They also charge like $90 to come out and install it, plus $3 a month cable modem rental fee if you don't have one. Although best buy/circuit city often have free cable modem mail in rebates if you sign up with them.
If you go Cable with Comcast, just offer to sign up for "basic-limited" its like twenty some stupid chanels and a few canadian ones, for $11 a month. That way they're give you free installation, save that hundred!, and you're actually pay less each month since you won't get the 50% premium surcharge, even if you don't plan on watching it.
If you have a home phone, yahoo dsl has been advertising a cool intro rate for the first year. It wasn't available in my area, it "might" be available in your area... stop in at a bestbuy and they put your address into their high speed connections finder, it will let you know your options.
Good luck, its well worth it
-Daniel

D

daniel411

Doh.. start typing and the thread changes with multiple additions!
LOL, oh well, sign up for basic-limited! You're get the free install, and avoid the ludicrous surcharge! :happy: I don't even have the cable line hooked up to my tv!!!! You don't have to watch it, just sign up for it

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Your phone company should offer DSL, and maybe your satilite company offers high spead as well. Look in the yellow pages, there are likely many local providers that will offer a better price.
I have yet to bit the bullet as I don't want to give comcast more money than they are already getting for the worst TV programs. $42 for cable high speed here, and that is the "deal" they give to customers. Its sad when you have to pay an extra $50 a month just so you can watch what used to be on the Learning and Discovery Channels.....you know, LEARNING....DISCOVERY, not how to dress or how to decorate your bedroom, or how to build something useless out of junk. :rolleyes:

aarone

here is the low down....
satellite...sucks...only download you have to buy seperate service for upload meaning a modem....
DSL fast depending on how far away you are from the provider further= slower
cable best choice! less down time and no distance dependency
only drawback is you share the speed with others in your area....more people surf more speed you lose

lovethesea

DSL as been great for us. Through our SWBell. Free installation (self install, they send you everything) and then $29 month. It was sky high until competition starting bringing it down. Thats when we swithed. Would never want to go back. So far so good on the DSL.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody use a wireless router for cable high speed? Was wondering if they did ok transmitting to a 2nd pc, or if the old fashion hookup was better?

lovethesea

we use wirless for our 2nd PC with DSL. It works great. sometimes it gets a little squirlley when the cordless phone is being used right next to it and ONLY with the PC that is getting a signal from the wireless.

aarone

cordless phones dont operate on the same frequency...cell phones and microwaves do though....
a good way to boost reception is to make a parabolic reflector for your antennae on the router.
I use a linksys router....good stuff. Make sure that you use a WEP encryption key or your signal can be hoisted. Alot of WAP's in my area...i can use about three from stupid home owners that dont mind having their signals stolen.
edited....the old fashioned at5 connection is no faster or slower than wireless....its just a little more stable if you get wha ti mean?
I would choose the wireless over the hardline due to its ease of use....go with a linksys brand...or belkin whatever is cheaper in your area....BTW netgear sucks

lovethesea

The new cordless digital GHz make get an interferance from the mircowave and router. Its in the manuals too. Don't know why.

fshhub

ok, here is the skinny on internet
1st, wireless runs at 2.8 ghz and can be a prob with some coedless phones, but you can get aroudn that by getting a newer phone, the 5.8 ghz is awesome and now affordable as well. weather can affect it some and it is line of sight(or very close to it)
cable, speeds vary as do services. our service will not sell to you without purchasing their service as well. another 35 a month. plus, teh speed is 400/128 for 40 and 800/128 for 60. add to that a 10 svc charge for the modem. get expensive. some providers do offer better speeds yet.however the cost is not worth it, IMO. it is ahared and this affects your speed greatly. esp in high use hours. but i would check with YOUR personal cable provider as to the rates, if you need tv and the speeds. do not expect that because i say it that i am right when it comes to your provider. the next jurisdiction down in my area(2 miles away) offers 1ghz for 35 a month and the sell the modem for 47 bucks.
dsl, is distance sensitive yes. however, at the greatest distance, you should be able to get the 768/128 which is dedicated. meaning that you are the only one using that line and will constantly get near those speeds. and this speed is equal to or better than many/most cable systems offer. if you are within 12000 (cable) ft you can get speeds double that. IF you have verizon as a phone service, you may be in luck. they have the best rates compared to cable and other services. dsl rates vary temendously and many local isp's offer dsl so you are best to call around. IF you ahve or can get verizon, their rates are little more than dial up. for 35 a month, with NO equipment charge, you get max speed and a free wireless router. and if you sign up for one of their special long distance rates, you get the service for 30 instead of 35. and with verizon, if you are 12,000 or less ft from the co then you get the 1.4 ghz speed for no additcional charge. if you are ver 12,000 you get the 768 speeds. EITHER is damn good and fast. and for surfing and gaming that is plenty! if you are running a server then you may not be happy with the upload speed. However the normal person will never notice, because the download speed is about all they use(primarly anyway). and if you need to ask the questions that you have, i can assure you taht you dont need anythong more. the people who will use more for serving would already know the answers you have asked. and at 30 bucks, it is the same cost of AOL or even less, til youpay for the seperate line or voice mail or whatever. and most dial up services would likely be the same or a little more than 35. i fyou only have internet service and no call wave or anything, then the cost of dsl would be a little more.
satellite, fast 1.4 ghz/56 down. sltighly costly and the equipment is expensive. and, is very weather reliant.
dial up service, well it just stinx. if it were free or 5 bucks a motnh i might consider it, but not for what they want for my dsl service.

blueberryboomer

Thanks everyone,
The cable company in our area is also Comcast, when we switcjed to the dish I swore never to go back to cable again, the programming and quality is so much better with the dish.
I don't know what I want to do.....I guess I should think about it for a few days before jumping into the first one.
Thanks for all the advice it has been helpful...Lisa:)