Hippo Tag Question

big slick

I just bought a Hippo Tang and she is not eating the flakes that we have. I see that Hippo Tangs might eat "Greens." What does Green refer to? Kelp?

birdy

Tangs are mainly herbivores and spend their days eating algae, if you do not have algae in the tank then you need to buy dried seaweed, put it on a special algae clip in the tank and the tang should graze off of that.

shawnhardy

You can also try Spirulina flakes or Formula 2 pellets. Mine likes both of those. Mine also eats everythign though. Tangs are supposed to be herbivores but mine eats shrimp and squid that I put in for the other fish so who knows!
You might have to try some frozen food. You willfind that flakes are not necessarily the favorite of saltwater fish.

T

tizzo

My bro just got a hippo, and it wouldn't eat anything I put in the tank (he was on vacation), except the frozen formula two. He loved that stuff. He will prolly eat more things later, but for now that was all I seen him eat. And just for reference, I tried...
Seaweed Selects
Spiralina soaked frozon brine
Formula 2 flakes
Some other flake food crap that they had...

nm reef

Mine responds well to a wide assortment of foods...assorted flakes/brine shrimp/mysis shrimp/Formulas 1&2/cyclopeeze...seaweed selects...plus it is always browsing the LR in the display. The one I keep has never been picky at all.

kirsch66

Slick,
My hippo loves to eat romaine lettuce. I put a large piece in my tank about 2-3 times per week. That way, she still takes care of the algae on my rocks. Use a simple sucktion cup and clip to hold the lettuce on the glass. Take a few steps back, and the hippo should start going to town.

disgusted

Kirsch,
Where do you shop in Cincinnati? I don't live there, but I come into town often to shop. I've had pretty good luck at Wet Pets.

kirsch66

I usually go to a place called the House of Tropicals on River Road. It looks like a dump on the outside, but has all sort of goodies on the inside. In Northern Kentucky there is a store call the World of Pets on Turfway Rd. I usually have good luck there. I've never been to Wet Pets before. I'll have to take a look.
-Kirsch

disgusted

I've been to the house of tropicals. Didn't care too much for the folks working there, but the store itself was pretty nice.
Next time I'm in the Northern Kentucky area I'll have to check out the place you mentioned. I think you'll like Wet Pets. The guy there can be a little cross, but he knows his fish.