Hippo Tang Info

skeetrix

Hi,
I'm looking to get a Hippo tang for my 125 gallon tank. I've been looking around at information on these guys, but is there anyone who can give me some true advice as what the very best way to raise these guys. Favorite foods, anything that can help me make sure this poor thing doesn't suffer...
thanks

22caddy

So what is it, either you have two tanks or are a liar. In another thread about hippo tangs you said you had a 75. Why all of a sudden is it a 125? Sorry if you do have both tanks, but your not making sense here.

skeetrix

lol, sry for the confusion, nah, i've got a 125 and a 75. I was hoping I could get away woth putting the Hippo in my 75 but thats not looking like it could happen, so i figured i'd put him in my 125, actaully sonce then i've decided against a hippo, i've heard that in order to keep them healthy, its best to have a UV sterilizer, which at the moment i don;t have

nm reef

22caddy...sorry for pointing this out...but thats twice I've seen somewhat rude remarks in response to questions. You can certainly disagree...but I see no need to be rude about it.:nope:
As for the hippo question...a small one could do well in a 75 if all other conditions are acceptable...the tank is well established and mature...the bio-load is relatively low. A 125 would be even better for long term growth. I've kept a hippo for over two years now...origionally in a heavily stocked 55 and currently in my 100 display with 50+ species of coral and a foxface lo...manderian dragonette...flame angel. Mine is about 4"-5" and feeds on most foods offered.Most experienced hobbyists will urge hippos to be kept in nothing less than a 125...but I've not had any problems to date and I expect to have him for a good while longer in my 100. I do have options available IF he becomes too large for his current conditions and that is something that should be considered.
:thinking:

22caddy

Yes the foxface is venomous.
And NM how am I being rude. I pointed out in another thread that he has conflicting answers and said I was sorry if he had both. No need to be so touchy.

nm reef

22caddy...in this instance there was little to no need for the "liar" remark...and the other instance was about a member s question in regard to a angler. Input is appreciated...but rude remarks do nothing positive and may be best left out.
In regard to the questions about a foxface here is some info a google search turned up:
The Foxface Lo, also known as the Foxface Rabbitfish, has a very unique body color. It has a mottled yellow-brown body with a dark chest. The face is very light in color and speckled on the lower half. They are a very hardy fish, and are great additions to the newly-established tank. It may reside in a 70 gallon or larger aquarium. It is a very peaceful species except when housed with other rabbitfish. The Foxface Lo may be housed with more aggressive fish. Its predators will tend to leave it alone because of its venomous dorsal spines. Rabbitfish are generally reef-safe if they are well fed. If not, it is possible for them to nip at and consume some species of LPS and soft corals. The Foxface Lo diet consists of a variety of fresh vegetables and undesirable species of algae. It does nip and possibly eat some soft and hard coral polyps. Rabbitfish, found in shallow lagoons in the Indo-Pacific and eastern Mediterranean, have small, hare-like mouths, large dark eyes, and a peaceful temperament, which gives them their name. They are colorful, and have well developed, venomous dorsal and anal fin spines. Use caution when handling these fish, as the spines will inflict a painful sting. It is best to use two nets to corral these fish into a container, rather than a single net to transfer these fish. These fish are very hardy and disease resistant and make an excellent addition to a medium- to large-sized saltwater aquarium. Rabbitfish are one of the few species that will eat problematic Bryopsis algae. Even though these fish are herbivores, use caution if they are to be housed in a reef aquarium, as they may nip at some corals and sessile invertebrates.

scoobydoo

NM Reef,
I just received a Foxface. I was planning on QT it with a purple firefish gobie.
Your post states: These fish are very hardy and .disease resistant
and make an excellent addition to a medium- to large-sized saltwater aquarium
Does this mean I don't have to QT?????