hippo tang quest.

akinda

How long about will it take for a 3/4 inch hippo tang to get about 2 inch. i am feeding a mixture of Spirulina brine shrimp, cyclopeze and formula one pellets im goin to get some formula 2 soon. Also i think im goin to havce to move him to a 10 gal tank cause my flame angel keeps picking on him and i think hes comming down with ich.

msd2

Originally posted by AKinda
How long about will it take for a 3/4 inch hippo tang to get about 2 inch. i am feeding a mixture of Spirulina brine shrimp, cyclopeze and formula one pellets im goin to get some formula 2 soon. Also i think im goin to havce to move him to a 10 gal tank cause my flame angel keeps picking on him and i think hes comming down with ich.

Good chance he is coming down w/ich because your 55 gal is too small for him, let alone a 10 gal, unless it is your quartine tank. Take him back to the LFS. I also wanted to run a hippo but they really need at least 75gal tank.

elfdoctors

Originally posted by AKinda
i thought fish do 90% of there growing in the first year?

Fish continue to grow throughout their lifetime. They grow fastest during the first year. The usual maximum lengths quoted are the largest they will get in a home aquarium before dieing. If their food is limited or if they are overcrowded or otherwise chronically stressed, they may not get that large. There are few aquarists that get their blue tangs to 12 inches.

elfdoctors

Originally posted by msd2
Good chance he is coming down w/ich because your 55 gal is too small for him,

I agree that a 55 is too small for a blue tang. However, the small tank size should have nothing to do with causing ich. Saltwater Ich has to be introduced into a tank.
A QT is essentially a mandatory piece of equipment for this hobby. I never used one for freshwater but I wouldn't dream of adding another fish without a quarantine first.
Good Luck treating this disease. Check out the basic FAQ sticky in the Disease and Treatment forum for ideas on how to treat this as well as setting up a QT. If you have any fish die, you may have to chalk this up to experience.

akinda

its my flame angel causing ich but he is only 3/4inch when he gets to about 2 or 3 inch he will go into a 75 gal tank. also right now hes in a 46 gallon bowfront but he doesnt even swim around to much he sits under a rock then when he comes out the angel sometime will smack him with his tail or nip at his sides. the angel doesnt mess with his fins.

badkharma

I got my hippo when it was 1.5", and now, a year later, it's only 2 1/4 inches. But it's fat as can be and eats like a pig.

akinda

its a miracle some how i let it stay in the tank for a day and not it has no signs maybe it was sand but it looked like ich. but no signs at all now.

bang guy

Tangs have an incredibly powerful immune system and a healthy Tang can easily combat Ich in a day or two provided it isn't stressed.
In my experience most (not all) fish grow to 90% of their maximum size in the first 10% of their lifetime. A Hippo should be expected to live about 60 years so I would expect it to hit 10" or 11" in the first 6 years.
Bang