hippo tang

trikonreef

so we just got a hippo tang yesturday, the color looked wonderful! today, we noticed that its top fin is swollen. like a really thick mohawk. (not quite sure how to describe it! sorry!) i have been trying to take pics of it but he moves too fast and into the rocks! ugh i will keep trying. in the mean time any thoughts? maybe sick? or something? we have a 6 line wrasse, scooter, shrimp, crabs, anenomes. nothing really in the tank that would hurt him. although, the six line is goin to a new home, he has been a lil bit too aggressive with our scooter, we actually just lost one the other day because he was messing with him. but he might have just been ill cuz he wouldnt eat. and got really skinny. the other one is thriving and we've trained them to eat from us. so not sure but quagmire (6 line) is going to our neighbor next week. just in case!
~Trikonreefs Wife~

tru conch

is there anything else you can notice with the top/dorsal fin? any redness? ive never heard of a 'swelling' of the top fin so i dont know how to diagnose it...

trikonreef

tried my best to get some pics. when we got it, my husband put stress coat plus in the tank. he didnt tell me that when i was posting the first thread! ugh! hope that this helps. thank you!!!

trikonreef

*update*
He died last night. Dont know what happened!! Guess he couldnt get any better?? Made our 4 year old very sad. he went to the back of the tank, under some rocks, could see where he was but he was just laying on he rock, the shrimp found him and well, yeah. so, not sure if we will get another one or not but made us very sad and upset. wish that we couldve done something for him.

thanks for all the help guys! even if we never did figure out what the heck was wrong with him. we tried. thank you seriously!

meowzer

Sorry to hear that...it may have been sick when you got it....If you get another one...especially if it is from the same place, you may want to QT it first

flower

Originally Posted by trikonreef
http:///forum/post/3077847
*update*
He died last night. Dont know what happened!! Guess he couldnt get any better?? Made our 4 year old very sad. he went to the back of the tank, under some rocks, could see where he was but he was just laying on he rock, the shrimp found him and well, yeah. so, not sure if we will get another one or not but made us very sad and upset. wish that we couldve done something for him.

thanks for all the help guys! even if we never did figure out what the heck was wrong with him. we tried. thank you seriously!

Sorry to hear it turned out sad in the end...small hippos are hard to get to live to start with and a sick one...well. If you decide to replace the loss, look into setting up a QT and try for a larger specimen.

florida joe

I am sure the fish doctors will chime in, but I don’t think a Pathogen would cause so much damage in 24hr. my very uneducated guess relating to your particular fish Is aggression

nycbob

sorry for ur loss. looks like something attacked it. small hippos r not very hardy in my experience. get one at least 2-3 inches next time.

trikonreef

yeah i think that we arent goin to be getting another one any time soon, not til the 6 line is out and we can get the new sump completed. sucks cuz he was 30 bucks! ugh. we joked that the shrimp had a nice spendy meal. they cleaned it up really good. at least we dont have to get it out. still sad though.

when we do get another one though, it will be bigger for sure!!