Hitch hiker ID please

dano

Does anyone know what this is? It is about 1" x 1/2". It will periodically sprout small Christmas tree like things, about 20 of them. It doesn't move, I am thinking it is some kind of coral.

blueberryboomer

You said it sprouts little christmas tree like things, sounds like it could be a christmas tree worm rock. We have one in our tank, ours looks more like a rock, but yours could be a piece of one.
Lisa

nm reef

Looks like some sort of blue ridge coral...a SPS coral. Is it hard and sort of smooth surfaced. I have a couple that I got several months ago...in my system they extend rather short tentacles that are shaped like small feather dusters...like the polyps on a sarcophyton or on the branches of a gorgonian. Below is a pic of one of mine from several months ago.

nm reef

Here is the other that I have...I've heard that under intense lighting they can be quick growers...mine have remained about the same but I run 4x65 pc's & 2x110 vho's...most reefers suggest MH's for these to do well. If thats what you've got...I may be way off on my ID here.

nm reef

Try a search for information on Heliopora coerulea this link has some pics and general info...hope my rambling response has helped...if not then this can be ignored.:cool:

dano

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I have not felt it to see if it is hard. I have a general rule, if I don't know what it is, I don't touch it.
Bang Guy, if it is unhappy, how do I make it happy? It is currently at the top of my tank, would it do better towards the middle? I don't have MH lights, but I am running 2 power compacts for a total of about 200W. (I think)