hitchhikers on new rock!

richarl5

Originally Posted by renogaw
yes. i'll look it up, but a whelk has a black snout compared to a white snout, plus nasarrious snails have a long white tail to them where the whelks i have have a short black body.
also, and i wish i had know previously, bumble bee snails are whelks.

AHH! I had better remove my bumble bee snail...thanks for the info (I feel kind of dumb now...should have researched before purchasing). Luckily nothing has been eaten yet!
-Lisa

maxalmon

This is why you should always "Slow Water Drip" any new LR. I use those plastic crates from Office Depot, the kind that are like mobile file cabinets and you can stack them on top of each other, (like the photos below) The bottom crate always need to be empty, then stack a crate on top of the empty one, fill it up, then another etc.. Then wrap the side in saran wrap (this stops the water from spashing all over the place. Stack the whole thing in the middle of a kiddie pool or some type of larger container, then use a good size pump and run a line to the top of the stack, use a spray bar so that the water drips down the LR. All the critters, good and bad will slowly be flushed to the bottom of the kiddie pool, fromthere you can select which to keep and which to toss...

catawaba

yes. i'll look it up, but a whelk has a black snout compared to a white snout, plus nasarrious snails have a long white tail to them where the whelks i have have a short black body.

Thanks!

catawaba

nassarius snails have a nose coming out as well. they are very similiar until you put them next to each other. the one thing i notice that is a huge difference is the tail. whelks dont seem to have one.
Tail as in their foot coming along behind them?

catawaba

Originally Posted by widowmaker
well.....after looking around, maybe that aint a donkey dung cucumber. anybody got any ideas? of yea that 2nd gorilla is in a 1 cup, measuring cup......just for reference.
That first picture looks like a mantis :scared:

ophiura

Is the top animal flat with scales on the back or is it cylindrical?
It is definitely not a donkey dung sea cucumber :)

ophiura

Alright, well I would say cuke then...probably a filter feeder but would need to see tentacles. If it stays high in tank and has "tree" like tentacles...it is a filter feeder. If it ends up on the sand and has kinda mop like tentacles, well,
sand sifter.

bill109

bumble bees.. i have on in my tank? is he good or bad and why
bte renogaw. i have a huge clam tht is fused with the rock and i cant get him off.. he like filerfeeds all day if tht is what he does when i shut the cabinet or touch him he shut real tight and closes uup and back twards the rock he goes

natclanwy

If you do a google search for reefland and whelk you will find a page that has good info for identifing conchs and whelks and differences between the two.

renogaw

i'll be honest, i didn't research the bumble bee snails until i already had put them in. i have yet to see them doing anything unnatural so maybe they are a good whelk :) (oxymoron i know). they do though make good hermit shells.
as for the tail, yea, i guess it could be the foot.

renogaw

a mantis what?
also, how about this feller. i'm sure it's harmless, he's just along way from the nearest rock.
looks like a feather duster baby.

bojik

i'll be honest, i didn't research the bumble bee snails until i already had put them in. i have yet to see them doing anything unnatural so maybe they are a good whelk :) (oxymoron i know). they do though make good hermit shells.
as for the tail, yea, i guess it could be the foot.
Several LFS sell them around here as algae eaters (if i remember rightly what they sell them for). I have had a few for a while no ill from them.

renogaw

you know, if you can't get rid of the 3" gorilla and are willing to ship (i'll pay for shipping) i just made a fuge setup and might have a good home for it.

natclanwy

Bumble bee snails are a type of whelk so they could possibly be predatious, I have no experience with them though. I had plenty of experience with a crown conch that would kill any snails
I put in my tank within a week until I made him a new home in my sump. He was an excellent scavanger though took care of any dead fish on short order, but never really wanted to try my hand with any other snails that might turn out to be homicidal.

catawaba

a mantis what?
also, how about this feller. i'm sure it's harmless, he's just along way from the nearest rock.
Mantis shrimp.
And the picture of the feller looks like a mini feather duster to me.