hitchhikers on new rock!

widowmaker

here is where i'm at right now. phase one actually. still got 200#'s of rock to come in after it cycles. display is messy since it'l be easier to catch the bad critters without the rock being stacked. but anyway.....

widowmaker

also, when i plug my heaters in, and touch the water.....lets just say it's an electrifying experience. an ideas as to how this could be happening.
on another note, there's the old *snap*, *popping* noise coming from 2 different areas. i know it's 50/50 either a pistol shrimp or a mantis.....or one each. either way, what are the chances of them making it through the cycle, or should i seek and destroy if need be?

renogaw

they will make it through the cycling. i guess you're supposed to dip the rock in freshwater and whatever shrimp is in there will jump out.

widowmaker

ophiura, here is a better shot of my unknown animal. it appears to crawl around in the sand, then climb onto the rock and stays in one place for a day or 2. then it will move to another spot on the rock.
also, i did see a teeny-tiny star on the rock. are there any bad stars i should look out for. it was smaller than a dime, so it's hard to find a match. brittle star is close, but still.....

widowmaker

also......did the freshwater dip, my 2 worries from the snapping noise turned out to be one mantis shrimp, and one pistol shrimp.
p.s., mantis just climbed into the net. hehehehehe

bojik

Originally Posted by widowmaker
also......did the freshwater dip, my 2 worries from the snapping noise turned out to be one mantis shrimp, and one pistol shrimp.
p.s., mantis just climbed into the net. hehehehehe
LUCKY bum hehe. The stars are probably the lovely self fertilizing herm. stars that are great detrivores.

ratboy9

I was checking out the threads and saw some stuff about whelks. I've got some snails that look like the whelk in the original post's pic. The only difference is that they are different shades of blue and white. Are they whelks?
Thanks in advance.
ratboy9

bojik

Originally Posted by Bojik
Several LFS sell them around here as algae eaters (if i remember rightly what they sell them for). I have had a few for a while no ill from them.
I remember they are detrivore/carnivores. Some info i found looking them up.
The Bumble Bee Snail is a distinctly small snail with yellowish bands on a dark brown background.
It is a beneficial snail to have in the aquarium, and will do well if provided with ample hiding places and room to roam. It prefers an aquarium with live rock so that it can graze on uneaten meaty foods and detritus. It is also a sand sifter so prefers an aquarium with a deep sand bed in which to forage. It requires high water quality and is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications and will not tolerate high nitrate levels.
It is extremely difficult to breed in an aquarium, and has no distinguishing characteristics to help differentiate it from its mate. (copy pasted)

widowmaker

i'll tell you something else.....it is super frustrating, to glance in at night and see a little gorilla crab, using and abusing one of my blue legs. i wish there was something that could be put in the tank that would elimiate those things.....chemical or otherwise. sometimes, they turn to face the front and just smile. those punks.

reefforbrains

I might be a lil late in the name that critter game, but i have a gorrilla in my reef..wife named him Chubaka and he never has hurt anything, goes nuts for brine, and yes he does snack from time to time on a Hermit, but I love the little guy. As for the cucumber, have one as well, dont know what his true name is but he has beautiful filtering little feathers and he has never harmed anything either. Mine is about 2 inch long but the feathers stretch 2 addittional inches when hes open. Got anymore hikers? Ill glady work something out with you for them if you dont want to keep them.
I hear you folks talking like the cuc is a bad thing, if so why?

reefforbrains

oh almost forgot, to catch a gorrilla you can do two things, climb a tree and act like a banana OR in the reef, hang back on a feeding so they are good and hungry, the more aggressive the crab the easier it makes this. Put in a smooth clean beer glass with a treat at the bottom angle the glass so they can come in from a rock, they cant climb back out and you just then do what you like with them.