HLLe on my yellow tang

matth2181

Yea so its defeinetly HLLE, red around the eyes in what looks like pitts. its a small tang about 1.5 inches across, had him about 2 months. not sure what to do, i feed algae on clip every day along with a block of mysis shrimp (other inhabitants include a clown, royal gramma, yellow belly damsel (very dosile), cleaner shrimp) am i not feeding enough, or the right things... he defeinetly eats every day and a lot... both the shrimp and the algae. he looks nice and fat (no ribs showing)... its a 30 gallon reef bow front, i have a ground probe and i do a 20% water change every week with two HOB filters each designed for 30 gallons, around 20 pounds of live rock... haven't had any infections problems to date (1 year)... any ideas?

meowzer

Read about hlle in this section....there is GREAT advice ....you need to add vitamins also.....have excellent water quality....and I have to ask....why do you have this tang in a 30G???? Is it temporary (I hope)

matth2181

VERY temporary, its just a tank i have while im at school I have a much larger tank at my real home that everything will be moved into within the next year! yea im going to make a trip to find vitamin additives... any brand names that are easy to find and good? probably are good for the rest of the tank as well...

meowzer

any and all of these are good....selcon, zoe, vita-chem....you soak the food in it.....add a couple of drops of one type...and alternate them.....

matth2181

okay ill go get some tomorrow... I also see this idea of removing carbon... i mean that is all that is in my HOB filters... in a filter cartridge... any ideas about what to with those?

meowzer

You can try some chemi pure in it....it has some type of carbon though.....I took all the carbon out of my 225G when my tangs got hlle....I switched to chemi-pure elite after they were cured

matth2181

probably not a good idea to just run like empty cartriges just for mechanical filtration is it? cause i dont think i can find cartridges for my filters without carbon but i can take the carbon out...

matth2181

they are just the traditional powerfilter one is a penguin 150 then other a top fin designed for 30 gallons... the top fin i can buy empty cartriges for so i could put the chemipure in that one... but the peguin... no such luck... is chemipure in rock form or a sand or what?

meowzer

I think you can fit the frame from the other powerfilter in the penguin....I have interchanged them before.....I have one of those double filters on my 29G......I use the carbon, but have run it with just the floss before too....they have the floss bags that slip over the "holder" and are held on with a clip......you could do anything with them

matth2181

ah your right... hmm ill try switching to chemi pure and adding vitamins... i already have the grouding probe... and water quality is very good, cool thanks for the help!

matth2181

hey meowzer.. I got the chemi-pure but there is way to much of it to fill just one filter... it said in the directions to not open the bag and divide the contents... tho this is my only option... is it okay if i just take out the contents and put it in the empty floss pouches to use as the filter... i really do not see why not... but maybe there i something im not not seeing or dont know...