hmmm

stdreb27

So would you take a 25% pay cut, for a job in the town you want to live in? At an Aquarium? Vs moving back to Houston, and staying a job you don't like, but can actually afford a toy or 2...

meowzer

depends...Can you afford to live with the pay cut? AND is that what would make you happy?
I'd rather be where I was happiest

reefraff

Make the money while you can, especially if your under 30. I wouldn't be buying toys, I'd be saving up. If things get worse which is starting to look like a possibility you have some job security and cash set aside and if they turn around you can make the quality of life choice later on AND have the money saved up for the toys.

bender77

I took a 20% cut to leave an abusive job to work for an ass. So make sure this job is really what you want. My new job is better, but not much. I'm still unhappy

gemmy

How are the benefits at the two jobs? If they are better at the one with the 25% reduction, I would take that one. Also, take into consideration which job is more stable in the long run. Another thing to consider, does the job in question have the potential to make more money in the future.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/388272/hmmm#post_3423193
How are the benefits at the two jobs? If they are better at the one with the 25% reduction, I would take that one. Also, take into consideration which job is more stable in the long run. Another thing to consider, does the job in question have the potential to make more money in the future.
agreed. That and what your wife thinks. lol! Good luck to yah! I know it's not an easy decision to make.
what is up with all of my friends getting jobs at public aquariums and I'm stuck stuffing deer all day?

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57che http:///t/388272/hmmm#post_3423212
Tough call. What does your wife say? My wife's happiness has a direct affect on my happiness.

+1
At this point in our economic "cycle" I would be very hesitant to go back to the end of the seniority line, especially for an outfit the depends on discretionary spending.
I also agree with Reef's comments.

stdreb27

I'm coming off a project, where I've got some $$ saved up. (enough were my wife wouldn't have to work for a couple years after a Jr. came along) Long term earning potential, probably isn't much different, because either way I want to go back to school. The end result would be something in the same industry I'm in now. With significantly more earning potential. So staying would help the networking. But I don't put much money weight in that. Finding something cold isn't a problem with the right class ring on...
Realistically their is no job security where I'm at. I'm at the bottom of the seniority pole now, so that won't change. Supposedly, they operate entirely off of gate reciepts, and donations go towards development. Sooo, If I go back to houston, I'll be having to change jobs anyway, or get laid off within the next 3-6 months. hmmmm

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/388272/hmmm#post_3423260
I'm coming off a project, where I've got some $$ saved up. (enough were my wife wouldn't have to work for a couple years after a Jr. came along) Long term earning potential, probably isn't much different, because either way I want to go back to school. The end result would be something in the same industry I'm in now. With significantly more earning potential. So staying would help the networking. But I don't put much money weight in that. Finding something cold isn't a problem with the right class ring on...
Realistically their is no job security where I'm at. I'm at the bottom of the seniority pole now, so that won't change. Supposedly, they operate entirely off of gate reciepts, and donations go towards development. Sooo, If I go back to houston, I'll be having to change jobs anyway, or get laid off within the next 3-6 months. hmmmm
I say if you can, go back to school now. I am getting my bachelor's now while working full time. I am getting my degree online through Florida Institute of Technology and I am getting the same degree as if I were in the classroom. The courses are accelerated and all it takes is the drive to succeed.

reefraff

Dunno, What about benefits? From what I hear Houston is the garden spot of the gulf coast, was I lead astray?

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/388272/hmmm#post_3423270
Dunno, What about benefits? From what I hear Houston is the garden spot of the gulf coast, was I lead astray?

Actually really good, from what I can tell. Haven't seen their actual paperwork, but from their description, it would be significantly better than what I have now.

btldreef

I just took a 50% pay cut to move into the saltwaterfish industry, but I'm also working about 30% less hours (I'm legally not allowed to disclose where I'm working or what I'm doing, but it's very, very similar to you being at an aquarium). The benefits and my happiness is what made me do it. I'm currently pregnant and that was a HUGE consideration for me, switching jobs while pregnant is not usually a good idea. I happen to know my boss at my new place really well. My commute mileage wise is about the same, but I'm going in the opposite direction as all the traffic, so time wise it's saving me about 45 minutes.

snakeblitz33

CONGRATS!!!!
You all make it sound so easy to get into the fish industry... How in the world and what in the world made you qualify? Do you have a bachelors? I mean, UGHHHH!!!!! I'm so jealous.

darthtang aw

I just took a 50% pay cut to move into the saltwaterfish industry, but I'm also working about 30% less hours (I'm legally not allowed to disclose where I'm working or what I'm doing, but it's very, very similar to you being at an aquarium). The benefits and my happiness is what made me do it. I'm currently pregnant and that was a HUGE consideration for me, switching jobs while pregnant is not usually a good idea. I happen to know my boss at my new place really well. My commute mileage wise is about the same, but I'm going in the opposite direction as all the traffic, so time wise it's saving me about 45 minutes.
Come on, we all know you are working on grafting lasers to sharks.
Darth (dr. Evil) Tang
P.S. get back to work before i feed you to the acid drooling alligators you created.