Hobby to Hobby: Fishy Import Racing Scene

makai

my 2 cents....
Don't get me wrong...there is nothing like good old american muscle. You just can't knock the import scene. 4 cyl engines, some even producing horsepower well over 400. (with about $40000 though)
As far as imports....
The Nissan skyline is a very nice car. Stock horsepower up around 290. The $80,000+ price tag is alittle out of reach for most people.
Right now, best import in production: Impreza WRX... A very good friend of mine has a 2002. By far the best in production at this time. I've been on some hectic rides and 1/4 races in this thing. Nothing right now can touch it. No spin off the line dumping it at 5000 rpms. His is still stock.... He beats my other buddy's 98 GSX by more than 4 car length in the 1/4. The GSX has an upraded incooler, boost controller, blow-off valve,3" downpipe and all the way back to the muffler, and of course intake and the all-wheel drive. the GSX is pushing 250 hp.... Remember the WRX is stock. $24000.00
Now to come...
The WRX killer.... To be released... Lancer Evolution, finally in the states. Go to mitsubishi.com and look at the stats...
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/evo/tech.jsp
270 hp..... they say around $30000.00
Back to the american muscle...
My friends laugh cuz i say i want one. You guys watch, its gonna take alot of people by surprise.... The Neon SRT-4... go ahead laugh. but really: 215 hp 1/4 mile: 14.7 stock
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...dtest_srt4.xml
THE BEST PART: $20000.00
all my opinions....
i'm here with ya... cars&fish

aggie05

Too many 5000 drops in that WRX and his glass gears are going to say bye bye. The only thing I don't like about the WRX is the weak drivetrain, but I am sure it will be fixed. I am very much a domestic guy but can respect an import I just don't like that you have to throw in so much money to go fast. But I do like one thing that has been made popular by the import scene and that is turbos. I want nothing more than to have a turbo charged and intercooled F-body. Running 11s would be nice.
Hey Robb, I frequent www.zr2.com a lot and one of the moderators on the site is a engineer for the special vehicles division of GM. He just pulled the 450hp LS1 out of his S10 to replace it with a LS1 based 427 out of the C5R LeMans corvette. Yes, you heard me right, this is the same engine they have in the C5R. All aluminum. He has detuned it for street use and it is putting out around 560 horses. He has also said he has been in talks with a company over a supercharger for it. This truck is an absolute beast. When he still had the LS1 in it he ran a 14.65 1/4 with 33" mud terrains and a 5" lift on it. It should run low 13s if not 12s when the new engine goes in. Oh, and he sand drags it so that is the reason for all the power. It is in the process of getting the new engine as we speak, it should be a sweet ride when it is done. I might dig this thread up and post some pics when it is finished.

plum70rt

HHHMMM Neon a Dodge too, Check the price on a 70/71 Hemi Cuda Convertable or Challenger Lately? better have a Million bucks to spend, whos knocking the import scene I admire them all, Fast yes but the imports will never have that 500 ft lbs of torque feeling, AAAAAAHHHHHHH:D

aggie05

You speak the truth my friend.:) A good friend of mine bought a 69 mustang with a 428 Cobra jet in it. I rode in it the first night he opened it up after breaking in the new engine. Holy sh!t, that thing was a torque monster. I swear I could feel every piston drop the engine was so massive. There is no better feeling in the world than an old muscle car, and no import will ever come close to that feeling.
Geez, I can't wait for our truck to be finished.:(

robb

Originally posted by Aggie05
Hey Robb, I frequent www.zr2.com a lot and one of the moderators on the site is a engineer for the special vehicles division of GM. He just pulled the 450hp LS1 out of his S10 to replace it with a LS1 based 427 out of the C5R LeMans corvette. Yes, you heard me right, this is the same engine they have in the C5R. All aluminum. He has detuned it for street use and it is putting out around 560 horses. He has also said he has been in talks with a company over a supercharger for it. This truck is an absolute beast. When he still had the LS1 in it he ran a 14.65 1/4 with 33" mud terrains and a 5" lift on it. It should run low 13s if not 12s when the new engine goes in. Oh, and he sand drags it so that is the reason for all the power. It is in the process of getting the new engine as we speak, it should be a sweet ride when it is done. I might dig this thread up and post some pics when it is finished.

Sounds like a LOTTA FUN!:D

aggie05

I remember when those were released, they were such a beautiful car and still are. Does that one have the houndstooth ********?

aggie05

And what about the 124 pound feet of torque:eek: torque monster! I think my dog has more torque.:rolleyes: I hate when S2000 owners start to talk about how badass that little 4 cylinder is because it can rev up to 9000 RPMs. Big frickin deal. My friends 327 will also rev to 9000 and it has more than two times the torque. They act like it takes some act of God to make an engine rev that high when all it actually takes is making it balanced.

y2says

300 rear-wheel horsepower is actually about 350 flywheel horsepower. It'll be in the 12s this summer.
I too agree with the S2000. I hate cars with no torque. I work at a car dealership and I've driven almost everything from $500 cars to $90k NSX and I think driving the S2000 is like driving a Civic. When in real life will you ever rev the engine to 9000rpm? Well, just like this hobby, everyone has their own taste. So it doesn't matter what I like.

robb

Originally posted by Aggie05
I remember when those were released, they were such a beautiful car and still are. Does that one have the houndstooth ********?

No it has white leather seats and a six speed stick. It is a fun car to drive!

bwets_angel

Originally posted by Robb
Here's a picture of my nephews car. 1997 30th Anniversary edition SS.

Nice car. I have a hugger orange 99 Z28. I'll post a pic if I can find one.

aggie05

I will whore our family friends car since we are posting pretty rides. It is complete now, but this is the only pic I have of it. Its running a crate 350 HO. Nice car.

look i'm not trying to make enemies on here, we are all entitled to our own opinions. i would LOVE to have my friend's 5.0 cobra but i just like imports more. obviously most of you think differently. if i remember correctly, this post was started to see who is into imports, not to see who likes to talk trash about them.

aggie05

Nobody is trashing imports in general. Therare some imports that I feel aren't nearly as special as most people make them out to be but there are some impots that are quite impressive. it just happens that most of us on this board are domestic guys, that is something you have to get used to when you live in America.;)

makai

"American Made" cars....
has to be old ones like the pics posted here.....
I don't think there is such a thing any more.....
Even harley davidson imports a good chunck of there parts....
I'm driving a beater cavalier untill my downpayment for the new SRT-4 is aquired.... Its a 1991 and half the work i've done i've found metric bolts and foriegn parts....

rickycobra

my friends cobra runs 14s in a quarter mile...i think an s2000 will run a 15...not bad for a motor half the size
What year cobra. My 97 convertible went 13.40 with the stock air box. Drag radials, shifter, mac mufflers,410 gears and bassani x pipe got me12.91@104. Although I sold it because I bought a street bike. Bone stock 10 second quarter miles, plus you can wheelie. cant beat that
As far as the s2000 owners bragging about shifting at 9000 rpm, my cobra was shifted at 7000 rpm. Not bad for a v8

Originally posted by rickycobra
[B
What year cobra. My 97 convertible went 13.40 with the stock air box [/B]
really then you must be a racer from hell cause i have a hard time believing a 4.6 ran a 13.40 when my friend's 5.0 is in the 14's. (94)