Holy Bristle Worms!

otfurball

I just had a "hatching" of bristle worms in my tank. They are all over my rock and in my sand. All sizes. Any chance this can get bad? I had not seen thi smany before today. Seems a bit extreme. Thoughts?
My six line died about a month ago.
He must have been keeping them at bay.
What should I do?

g-dude

I here that coral banded shrimp like chowing down on them... but than again I think it had better be a good size.

murph145

yah i dont think u want too many of them cuz they can end up attacking your fish or other animanls if there is not enouogh waste or left overs for them to scavange on....
i only find bristle worms in my tank when i move a rock once in a while ill find one or 2 small ones
id try to get rid of them if i were u or get them back to a small amount

meadbhb

Hiya,
I'm pretty sure they do. I used to have flat worms and bristles in my tank. Added a six-line, they were all gone, then about a month later the six-line died :(
Meadbhb

bang guy

In my opinion Bristle worm populations can only increase if there is adequate food. If there is adequate food that means something has to eat it or it will cause problems. There are very few critters as good as Bristle Worms for keeping a tank clean of rotting food.
If you see them harming corals then remove that species of worm. I doubt you will notice any damage but there are a few bad species, rare, but not unheard of.
Typically the predatory Bristle Worms do not reproduce well in captivity. If you have a new batch of offspring then it's unlikely that they are harmful and very likely that they are beneficial detrivores.
I believe that if you remove the worms your water quality will deteriorate.

otfurball

these are all great points. I am just interested in thinning the heard. there are so many squirming all over the rocks that I fear there are too many. they are pretty cool looking, but I worry about not enough coepods for my mandarin, etc. will an arrow crab thin them out too much?

bang guy

I don't know of any Bristle Worms that can eat a live Copepod.
I would suggest feeding less would be a good way to reduce the worm population naturally. Unless you're breeding your fish they don't need to be saturated with food.

otfurball

I went and got an arrow crab last night. Very cool little guy. I doubt one small arrow crab will thin the herd too much. One of the worms was on the go last night and MAN it is long. - least 5 inches. I never thought I was feeding too much but maybe you are right. I usually do 2 cubes of frozen. I have a 72 that is about full.

benj2112

When your worm gets 7 feet long like the one Steve Weast had in his tank then you might want to get it out.

bang guy

The Eunicid in Steve's tank is harmful to soft corals at any size just as the fireworm in my picture is harmless at any size (unless you touch it...).

drummerbum

Originally posted by otfurball
OMG what happens when you touch it?

it stings you
but i have a remedy that my very trusted LFS guy told me that i'm gonna try myself
put a piece of store bought shrimp in an old stocking and hang the stocking in the tank about an inch from the bottom turn the lights off and check on it periodically . the worms should try to eat the shrimp and get tangled in the stocking just pull the stocking out and dispose of them how ever you want.
and an example of the reason that i thust this guy is he has never once lied to me and he could of just as easily sold me an arrow crab or coral banded shrimp.
:yes:

viet-tin

Yes very painful to touch. I had one fall on my hand and it burned like hell. The burning sensation lasted a few minutes and it left some red marks on my skin. Kinda simular to a bee sting but a little stronger i guess. So be very careful when removing or messing with your rocks.

viet-tin

Those fireworms have been seen. I recently purchased a coral frag and found an ugly one munching on the frag. Took him out and it met the bottom of my shoe

otfurball

got the arrow crab and he seems to have done the trick. The herd of worms has thinned out but they are still there. I can see them under the sand when I look under the tank. I still want them just not as visible as they were before.
Thanks to everyone!

greatfullreefer

Keep an eye on the Arrow Crab as they are preditors and not scavengers. Once the bristle worms are taken care of or become too much work to find he will make short work of shrimp, inverts and small fish.