Home made fish food.

coral keeper

I want to make my own fish food. What kind of food can i use for the fish, like vegies, fruits, and meat, ect. I want you to list your fish food recipes, and which kind of recipes are for what kind of fish.
Thanks!

eddiesamuil

HEY THERE
I make my food, I make it out of clams, the fish love it,
just get two pieces of clam and chop them in small pieces
add some kent garlic on it if you want(good for the fish)
mix it well,
then put it in a freezer, till it's completely frozen
then you can just cut small pieces put it in a cup with some water till it' ready to be served

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Eddiesamuil
HEY THERE
I make my food, I make it out of clams, the fish love it,
just get two pieces of clam and chop them in small pieces
add some kent garlic on it if you want(good for the fish)
mix it well,
then put it in a freezer, till it's completely frozen
then you can just cut small pieces put it in a cup with some water till it' ready to be served

Ok, thanks for the info Eddiesamuil!! Anyone els have fish food recipes?

ledzep fan

I just made some today actually, I use a blender to mix the foods together. I added Spinach, Lettuce, Shrimp, scallops, and squid. This is my first time making my own fish food. After i was done blending it i flattened it on some tin foil in a square shape and then froze it. I will post to tell you if my fish liked it or not.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by LedZep fan
I just made some today actually, I use a blender to mix the foods together. I added Spinach, Lettuce, Shrimp, scallops, and squid. This is my first time making my own fish food. After i was done blending it i flattened it on some tin foil in a square shape and then froze it. I will post to tell you if my fish liked it or not.

Ok, thanks for the recipe LedZep fan!! If anyone els has a recipe that they can share plz tell us. And LedZep fan what kind of fish are you feeding them with that food?
Thanks!

1journeyman

Go to your local grocery store.
I typically only fresh foods, only wild caught, and only salt water seafood.
*Shrimp
*Clam
*Oyster
*Scallops
*Fish (flounder, trout, tuna, salmon), but go light on the "red" oily fish
*Squid
*Greens (fresh seaweed only.. I don't believe in using vegetables in an aquarium. You can usually buy several varieties at your local fish store)
Liquid garlic and vitamins (again, from store)
Buy a cheap food processor from Wal Mart (approx $15) and blend up until its finely chopped. Can smash it into sheets and freeze in zip lock bags, or make ice cubes.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Go to your local grocery store.
I typically only fresh foods, only wild caught, and only salt water seafood.
*Shrimp
*Clam
*Oyster
*Fish (flounder, trout, tuna, salmon), but go light on the "red" oily fish
*Squid
*Greens (fresh seaweed only.. I don't believe in using vegetables in an aquarium. You can usually buy several varieties at your local fish store)
Liquid garlic and vitamins (again, from store)
Buy a cheap food processor from Wal Mart (approx $15) and blend up until its finely chopped. Can smash it into sheets and freeze in zip lock bags, or make ice cubes.
Just out of curiousity, does going to all that trouble really make a difference? Are you seeing a quantifiable improvement in your livestock?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Just out of curiousity, does going to all that trouble really make a difference? Are you seeing a quantifiable improvement in your livestock?
It is not that much trouble and is much healthier for your fish. If you do not want to make your own then you can buy quality frozen formula foods. Add vitamines while they are thawing. The benefit to making your own is that you know exactly what is going into it and you can tailor the blend to what your fish require.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by rbaldino
It's actually pretty easy and a heck of a lot cheaper.

smoothie

Making it is alot healthier for your fish and cheaper.
Don't blend too much. You just want it in small pieces not soap. Did that my first time.
Alot of grocerie stores and even Wal-mart carry a seafood stir fry pack that is frozen. No additives. No water added. They will be in their own individual pieces frozen in the bag, not a frozen block. It contains squid, clam, shrimp and small white fish pieces. Next get some Nori, roasted or dried but not flavored or with additives, from the asian or sushi section of the store and tear that into 2 inch pieces before putting it into a blender with the rest.
Pick up garlic juice or fresh while you are there. It boosts their immune system and fish love the taste. Beth I believe has a good recipe at the top of the forums.

gatorwpb

I gave Trigga my recipe.
Flounder,
Clams,
Squid,
Scallops,
Mussels,
Shrimp,
Garlic,
Nori,
Cyclopeeze,
Marc Weiss' Combo Vital
Tank water
I made 3 ziplock bags full and it is lastiung me forever.
Ive noticed a reduction in nutrients and my corals, inverts and fish all go NUTS for it.
Only thing I wish I would have added was Selcon or something like that.

triga22

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
I gave Trigga my recipe.
Flounder,
Clams,
Squid,
Scallops,
Mussels,
Shrimp,
Garlic,
Nori,
Cyclopeeze,
Marc Weiss' Combo Vital
Tank water
I made 3 ziplock bags full and it is lastiung me forever.
Ive noticed a reduction in nutrients and my corals, inverts and fish all go NUTS for it.
Only thing I wish I would have added was Selcon or something like that.
And again thanks
. Im waiting for the food I have to go out and then Ill be making my own. Ill let you know how it goes.

coral keeper

Anyone els got any yummy fish food recipes?
Can everyone list how much of each thing you put in it, and how much garlic you put in it because i don't want to put so much garlic that the fish wont eat it.
Thanks for the recipes everyone!

1journeyman

For my recipe, I put about 30%shrimp, then mix in the rest about evenly.
I use the small ice cube trays, and drop in a couple of drops of garlic and liquid vitamins to each cube before freezing.

coral keeper

Well, i made some fish food at 1:00PM and i fed my fish about 10 min ago and they LOVE it!!!! There was the following in my fish food, shrimp, salmon, sea weed, and fresh garlic. I read in beths post that buying bottles of garlic juice at the store dosent do any thing and to use fresh garlic. Anyone els got yummy fish food recipes?

Enyone els got any recipies?

1journeyman

Go VERY light on the Salmon... it is oily and can foul your water.
Bottled garlic does nothing for the immune system of fish, but it does stimulate feeding.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Go VERY light on the Salmon... it is oily and can foul your water.
Bottled garlic does nothing for the immune system of fish, but it does stimulate feeding.
I didn't put a lot of salmon in it, i put a very little bit of salmon. I hear that salmon is very good for fish because it is oily and the oil contains a TON of vitamins. I suggest that who is going to be making home made fish food put a little bit of fresh garlic instead of bottled juice garlic. Dos anyone els have some yummy fish food recipes they can share?