Homemade fish food

Amet91

Hi guys,
I am still pretty new to saltwater (about a year in) & just decided I wanted to start making my own fish food. I went to the store & bought a bunch of stuff but just wanted to make sure all is OK! As of now I have seaweed, squid, clam, krill, anchovy, salmon(only a little since it's oily), & garlic.... is all this ok, not ok, too much?? All input is valued!! Thanks!

bang guy

is the anchovi processed at all? You need to make sure everything is raw and unprocessed, including the seaweed. Dried is OK, salted/cooked/preserved is not.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Agree with Bang Guy. Unprocessed seafood that you get from the seafood counter. You can also sometimes find some decent frozen seafood. As long as it is seafood and not cooked. Also, seaweed in grocery stores are usually processed. It is sold in the hobby and I'd advise getting that kind.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Often you can find good Laver or Nori unprocessed in Asian food markets.
Our local Asian market sells products that actually come from Asia and the labels are not readable unless you speak that language....also, those countries do not have the FDA standards for labeling content. That's only my limited exp with the Asian grocer.

jay0705

May not be as cheap, but buying seaweed sold as fish food is the safest bet. I like julian sprungs sea veggies myself. Green and purple

geridoc

Back when I made my own fish food I had an arrangement with a local fish market. Many customers requested that the market fillet the fish for them, leaving the heads and tails with the market. They would save these parts for me, and I could pick off enough meat from the heads and tails to incorporate into the fish food. AI also used Knox unflavored gelatin as a binder so that the food did not disperse into a fine powder in the tank.