Horse in apartment?!

michelle l

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
We have a Great Dane at the shelter that's skinny as can be right now. He eats like crazy, hope he doesn't have heartworms.
Please let me know if I can help rehome this Dane. I am a member of a few Dane boards, and there are a lot of members who are active in rescue.

aquapro_1

I never buy from breeders. In may I bought a kitten from Justin Animal control & everyone wants him. He acts like a dog. I foster Huskies. I had to put one down a few months ago. Loss of blood caused him to go in circles. I loved him too much to let him suffer. Already had brain damage. I miss him terribly!! His nose was broken & was eating dirt & cigarrette butts from the nearby field. It took me 1 1/2 mo to get him from 30# to 48#. Feed the oatmeal cookies. Nutritious and helps pack the weight. Most loving guy on the planet.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Michelle L
Please let me know if I can help rehome this Dane. I am a member of a few Dane boards, and there are a lot of members who are active in rescue.

I hate to give up the ghost, but if you can help I'll gladly announce my place of employment on a public forum. Send someone to Euless Animal Services. Otherwise I'm going to have to take him to the Humane Society so he isn't put down in my presence. The Humane Society is great, but they still euthanize just like a city facility would.
Thank you. Your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by aquapro_1
I never buy from breeders. In may I bought a kitten from Justin Animal control & everyone wants him. He acts like a dog. I foster Huskies. I had to put one down a few months ago. Loss of blood caused him to go in circles. I loved him too much to let him suffer. Already had brain damage. I miss him terribly!! His nose was broken & was eating dirt & cigarrette butts from the nearby field. It took me 1 1/2 mo to get him from 30# to 48#. Feed the oatmeal cookies. Nutritious and helps pack the weight. Most loving guy on the planet.
My girlfriend loves Huskies, I shoulda kept my mouth shut... she has a piebald named Sebastian, white with red markings. Another piebald pup came to the shelter, I teased her about him, she came to see him, and well, now his name is Tchai and he's one of our six dogs. It's cool though, she had a 12 year old Husky named Cherokee, and he started having seizures, the vet determined the only thing it could be was a brain tumor, and at 12 years old he probably wouldn't survive surgery. We put him down and it was really really really hard. He was a great guy. But yeah, like I said, now we have 6 dogs, I can't rescue any more. Eventually the city will find out and try to take them from us like Nazi's in a jewish community.

aquapro_1

I have a neighbor that has 4 dogs & 7 cats. He claims to run a rescue, but ask him about a cat & it's his/ not for sale. He had to get rid of the carpeting & put in hardwood floors. He house wreeks of urine. I went in, he babysat my cat...uuuugh!! feeces on the floor. I barely could keep from pucking! Oh the smell. I wanted to take my baby back, but could not leave him home alone. Now I have to train him to use a litterbox. Caught him in the closet peeing on a blanket!! He begs for attention & I am keep the cold shoulder on him. He has been going to my husband..Desparate for attention. My husband hates cats, but Corey is the exeption.
To me that is the worst abuse. An owner not knowing his limits on the animals he keeps!! My friends mom is the same. She lives in a TRAILER!! has 4 dogs & is claiming my friends new born pup. Just turned 2 weeks sunday! Pom pups. Oh did I mantion the trailer has 6 people in it???
Disgusting!!

aquapro_1

My girlfriend loves Huskies, I shoulda kept my mouth shut... she has a piebald named Sebastian, white with red markings. Another piebald pup came to the shelter, I teased her about him, she came to see him, and well, now his name is Tchai and he's one of our six dogs. It's cool though, she had a 12 year old Husky named Cherokee, and he started having seizures, the vet determined the only thing it could be was a brain tumor, and at 12 years old he probably wouldn't survive surgery. We put him down and it was really really really hard. He was a great guy. But yeah, like I said, now we have 6 dogs, I can't rescue any more. Eventually the city will find out and try to take them from us like Nazi's in a jewish community.
As long as the home is clean & the neighbors don't get wind of it....
I love huskies. They are the most loving and don't bark!! Howls are fine. Just watch their tendencies to pack!! If one gets snippy at a cat, all the huskies will attack!! I had some get out and search the neighborhood for cats. Lots of carnage!! They had to be separated & caged at night.
What are the other 4?

texasmetal

The other 4 are:
Maddie - Boston Terrier mix... my baby. My girlfriend is jealous of her.
Cleo - Pug/Chihuahua... cute as can be and just as fiesty.
Delilah - American Staffordshire Terrier
Senji - pure Basenji... she is evil I swear. Cat in a dogs body.
I can probably post some pics later.
Tchai bonded with Sebastian as soon as he got home. Sebastian was a little overwhelmed for a few days... he's 3, Tchai is about 5 months. You can really tell that Tchai knows Sebastian is just like him. It's amazing how much he adores his older brother.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by aquapro_1
I have a neighbor that has 4 dogs & 7 cats. He claims to run a rescue, but ask him about a cat & it's his/ not for sale. He had to get rid of the carpeting & put in hardwood floors. He house wreeks of urine. I went in, he babysat my cat...uuuugh!! feeces on the floor. I barely could keep from pucking! Oh the smell. I wanted to take my baby back, but could not leave him home alone. Now I have to train him to use a litterbox. Caught him in the closet peeing on a blanket!! He begs for attention & I am keep the cold shoulder on him. He has been going to my husband..Desparate for attention. My husband hates cats, but Corey is the exeption.
To me that is the worst abuse. An owner not knowing his limits on the animals he keeps!! My friends mom is the same. She lives in a TRAILER!! has 4 dogs & is claiming my friends new born pup. Just turned 2 weeks sunday! Pom pups. Oh did I mantion the trailer has 6 people in it???
Disgusting!!
Yeah. That's one thing I told my girlfriend. Absolutely no more. They are all housebroken, EXCEPT the new guy, and he's only 5 months old so accidents are going to happen, but I swear on my day off I'll bust out the shampoo vac 3 or 4 times... it's annoying, but hey, better than changing diapers.
If anything, it's not only the mess they make, but it's a lot of time and attention to share between them. After a while individuals start being neglected because there's just not enough attention to share with them all. I don't want my animals to feel that way, because they do start rebelling eventually if they have reason to get jealous and that's another thing I explained to my girlfriend. Maybe if we had 20 acres of land or something, but not an average back yard. If it gets to be too much she knows she has to find Tchai a home. I'd hate to have to tell her that, but she knew before she took him home we have what most people would consider an insane amount of dogs.
We busted one lady here in Euless that had 42 dogs in her house!!! I love dogs, but GEEEZ! She had to give all but 4 to the Humane Society. The outside of her house was really nice, but the inside.... there's no way she could ever sell that house. They'll have to doze it to the ground. Absolutely revolting.

aquapro_1

Every Basenji I have ever had the "pleasure" to meet have been evil!! Who pissed in thier gene pool?
I used to have a 130# doberman. Guard trained. All my friends NEVER wanted to go to my house
I only have 2 huskies at the moment. Lexi, black & white & blue eyes....red bacause she sunbaths. she'll be 10 in Jan. Analise is about 9 month. She is black & white w/ brown eyes. Casey(3yrs) found a new home, all white w/ blue eyes. O'Ryan (5yrs) is red w/blue eyes and left 2 days again. He is a long hair fluff ball!!
Corey is an asian cat mostly black w/ white patches. He's my newfounded husky. He plays with the girls. He goes for the stomach & clings to the back legs. The screams are always the dogs!!
**Corey is barley 5# and the girls are 54# & 43#. Corey takes them down in less than 45 seconds!!

texasmetal

I tell everyone I'd rather mess with a big mean dog than a little mean cat. We get feral cats all the time and they are way scarier to deal with than aggressive dogs.

michelle l

I hate to give up the ghost, but if you can help I'll gladly announce my place of employment on a public forum. Send someone to Euless Animal Services. Otherwise I'm going to have to take him to the Humane Society so he isn't put down in my presence. The Humane Society is great, but they still euthanize just like a city facility would.
Thank you. Your efforts will be greatly appreciated.
How long do we have before he is put down? I just posted on Danes Online message board right now, and I have the e-mail address of a woman who does rescue in Fort Worth. Please contact me privately at mstransam1969@yahoo.com, and I'll send you her address.

aquapro_1

Yeah. That's one thing I told my girlfriend. Absolutely no more. They are all housebroken, EXCEPT the new guy, and he's only 5 months old so accidents are going to happen, but I swear on my day off I'll bust out the shampoo vac 3 or 4 times... it's annoying, but hey, better than changing diapers.
If anything, it's not only the mess they make, but it's a lot of time and attention to share between them. After a while individuals start being neglected because there's just not enough attention to share with them all. I don't want my animals to feel that way, because they do start rebelling eventually if they have reason to get jealous and that's another thing I explained to my girlfriend. Maybe if we had 20 acres of land or something, but not an average back yard. If it gets to be too much she knows she has to find Tchai a home. I'd hate to have to tell her that, but she knew before she took him home we have what most people would consider an insane amount of dogs.
We busted one lady here in Euless that had 42 dogs in her house!!! I love dogs, but GEEEZ! She had to give all but 4 to the Humane Society. The outside of her house was really nice, but the inside.... there's no way she could ever sell that house. They'll have to doze it to the ground. Absolutely revolting.
What until the huskies shed!! Lexi (9yrs) is a king sized down comforter. Then mulitply by the # of dogs!! I brush then outside. My house is covered with fluff. I have to vaccum every day. If I don't...I will have fluff on every furnature and every article of clothes I & the family owns!
I can't imagine 40 dogs! My husband raised hell when I had 5 huskies and a beagle. My neighbor chairs Pippin in the backyard & when they don't...she's running down the street!!

aquapro_1

Pippins not mine. I end up watching it because she keeps getting out of her yard. Everyone knows I will take a stray & help find their home. If not, They end up staying.
I spent $500.00 on a hamster. He broke his leg & had it amputated!! A $7.00 hamster at Petsmart!! Then he kept getting the staples because he looked pathetic with the hood. I will save anything thing I can....unless putting it down is the best option.

danedodger

It's sad when animals have to be put down but when you have more critters than there are homes for them what do you do? We have so many feral cats out here right now we're having to livetrap them and give them over to AC. I feel so bad for them when they come to take them away, especially knowing that them being feral they won't even have a chance at adoption, but I don't see an alternative.

And don't be too harsh on the hoarders. I think they really do start out with the best of intentions but just don't realize their limits. I pity them and their animals. It's not the number of animals you have, it's your ability to take care of all of them. We have a very small place and I own 3 dogs (one a huge dane), 3 cats, an umbrella cockatoo, a guinea pig, a dwarf hamster, a rainbow boa, a pink toed tarantula, and my fish of course. Some people think that we have waaaay too many but they're all clean, fed quality food, loved (hah, try spoiled rotten!!!
)... I'm happy having lots of critters around and I refuse to take in any I can't take excellent care of so who's to say I'm wrong?
I ran a rescue for 13 years so believe me, I get the anger on here. It was soo hard sometimes smiling and "oh yes, I completely understand" when I'd like to rip their faces off for what they've put a poor animal through. The only way I could keep that smile was to keep telling myself that if I told them what I really thought they'd take the animal with them and then what would happen to it? Best to smile and get custody of the animal first to save it.
Working animal control is a tough job too. Just try your best to concentrate on every success you have like when one of them finds a great home and be there for the animals as best you can. If you don't hold onto the good in it the bad will undoubtedly wear you down in no time!
And have em check that dane for erlichea (terrible spelling of that, sorry). I've seen several danes that seem healthy enough and eat like horses but stay looking like they're starving to death and that's turned out to be the culprit. I even had one vet look at one of my rescue danes say that that's just his "body type". :mad: Being able to see ribs, hipbones like blades, and a dull, harsh coat is NOT any dog's "body type" so if you get a vet that says something like that find another one till you find one that gets it right!

texasmetal

Our boy found a home today I'm very happy to say. he now lives with a smaller female Great Dane, and his owner is a detective for the Police Department. My boss almost took him home. I brought him in the break room this morning, showed off a few tricks, his great nature, and my boss fell in love. It was hard telling myself all day long that I wasn't going to take him home. It's days like this that definitely make my job worth it. Most days I just end up meeting people I'd like to follow home... and severely beat with an aluminum bat.
I'm gonna miss Zeus, he is an awesome dog.

aquapro_1

Thank you for at least trying to find better for him. They all deserve lots of love and attention. He only has to contend w/ another...and a female at that. He will be the happiest. I would love to volunteer, but everyone who knows me...I'd be piling them into my car & trying to find them a home, on my own. Then keeping them. I love all kinds of animals. I'd be in tears for days if I saw a slight portion of what you have to deal with.
I agree with you on the cats!!!! Wow, who knew something so small could be sooooooooo vicious. I had a friend in high school. Who had an older friend w/an apartment & 18 cats!! Wow the smell!! I heard a maintenance man was mauled when he can in to fix the toilet!!! Needless to say, she was evicted!! My friend told me she was forced to get rid over all but 3 cats when she relocated!!

michelle l

Our boy found a home today I'm very happy to say. he now lives with a smaller female Great Dane, and his owner is a detective for the Police Department. My boss almost took him home. I brought him in the break room this morning, showed off a few tricks, his great nature, and my boss fell in love. It was hard telling myself all day long that I wasn't going to take him home. It's days like this that definitely make my job worth it. Most days I just end up meeting people I'd like to follow home... and severely beat with an aluminum bat.
I'm gonna miss Zeus, he is an awesome dog.
Bless your heart, it's people like you that make life worthwhile. So many dogs don't make it out of the shelters that it makes my head spin. This is a perfect example of why people should spay and neuter their pets....too many cute pups grow up to be dogs on death row at the shelter. Thank you so much for getting involved and finding this boy a new home. :cheer: I'll be sure to update the post on Danes Online to share the great news!!

texasmetal

Update...
He was too much for the female Dane. She was fixed, but he was still interested... typical guy I guess. He needs to be neutered, BAD. :-/ They brought him back this morning. They loved him and said he is a perfect dog, just too playful for theirs.
Well, he is now a resident at my house until he finds a new home, or we figure out the new routine isn't too much to handle for us. I just can't say no to him, he's too well behaved. All of our dogs are pretty excited about him, except Sebastian, the 3 year old Husky. He's the Alpha dog and is not interested in turning over the position, but Zeus could care less about being the Alpha dog apparently, he hasn't shown the least interest in challenging Sebastian. Cleo has a crush on him, and he has a crush on Dalilah.
I got him his shots today, gave him a bath... and I must say that was the easiest dog to ever give a bath too, he stood perfectly still the whole time... oh my god what am I going to do? hahahah.... I love him. He's standing next to me with his head in my lap right now. I'm already too attached. I'm probably going to take him to the Petsmart we took our Amstaff to for obedience training. The trainer, Mike is a Great Dane lover, maybe he'll take him or know someone who will.
Everyone cross your fingers for us! I just fear the day Fort Worth Animal Control shows up because someone counted all of them. None of them are big barkers and we keep our yard clean.