Hostile Fish

mnieder

A couple days ago a added a pair of black clowns to my 75 gallon. They were together in the same tank when I bought them. Today the larger one, who is larger by about 1/4 inch, has been charging the smaller one and bites him (or at least that is what it looks like). Is this normal or harmful to the fish and should I take them back to the store? I added a 8x54 watt nova. extreme today if that might be the cause of the problem.

meowzer

LOL...sounds like the bigger one is just showing "her" dominance.....once the little guy submits they should be fine.

9supratt4

Yes....that is normal. The bigger one is showing dominance and will become the female and the smaller will be the male. It's all good

mnieder

Yes, when she attacks he just stays their and does nothing. Occasionally he will start to flap his fins really fast almost like he is having a seizure. Thanks guys

R

rcreations

Just make sure she doesn't kill him first. If you see any serious injuries on his body, you need to separate them.

tang4me

Originally Posted by mnieder
http:///forum/post/3160291
Yes, when she attacks he just stays their and does nothing. Occasionally he will start to flap his fins really fast almost like he is having a seizure. Thanks guys
He is just showing submission, no problem. Should descrease as time goes by. It's good the little guy is showing submission. I have pair that are best buds until feeding time and the they go through that ritual several times. Once the food is gone back to friends.