HOUSE

reefraff

The "inspection" a lender requires is a joke. When I bought my first place FHA came out to do a follow up on the lender inspection. We knew the garage was a joke when we bought the place so no surprise there but one thing I hadn't noticed, and the lender inspector didn't catch was the way electrical was added to the detached garage. They just ran standard romex out of the house, buried in in the ground and ran it into the garage. The FHA inspector looked at that and laughed.
In contrast when I bought the current house he had an inspector. Now I KNEW there was unseen hail damage to the roof but me knowing it and being able to prove it were two different things. The inspector also caught that SHOULD we even fully finish the basement the venting to the furnace system that was replaced in 03 wasn't right, both problems the seller had to correct before we closed. Had I not had the inspection I probably could have force the roof being done but wouldn't have found out about the need for additional venting to the furnace until I went to get a permit for finishing the basement.

1guydude

well rats someone beat us to it! Hopefully we will get the next one. Guess the gf was pretty upset but i think its fate with the whole inspection thing!
Havent seen her yet to talk to her about it but im sure theres more houses lol!
Wish us luck with the house shoppin!
-devin

gemmy

It is probably a blessing in disguise. Just remember don't settle and find the house that is perfect for you and your gf. My friend and her husband have been house shopping for 2 years now and have finally found a place to call their own. Happy house hunting!

meowzer

Good luck man.....Take your time....IMO buying a house is A LONG TERM investment...so you need to make absolutely sure it is what you want....and it is a good sturdy house

travelerjp98

I am glad that you guys didn't get the house because you guys didn't have it inspected. Next time MAKE SURE to get it inspected!

1guydude

well are #2 house is gone now too LOL....gf has already got 4 more on her list so tommorow we will be looking at more...
Note to self: Get inspection done...cant be worse than better to get an inspection after all!

reefraff

It is a buyers market, take your time. If you haven't already use the net. Realtor.com has cool search tools with lots of pics on most listings. It makes things go faster than waiting for a agent to find what you want. We would usually look at the outside first and check out the area then call our agent to set up going inside. We shopped about 8 months to find this one, 5 months for the last one.

tur4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/388102/house/20#post_3420706
We shopped about 8 months to find this one, 5 months for the last one.
I wish I had that much time to shop when I bought this house. My landlord stopped making his mortgage payments for the condo I was renting. We were ready to buy a house and didn't want to move twice. I'm sure we could have found something better if we weren't so rushed.

1guydude

ya the gf and i really dont have any time. We have to find somewhere to live before she does! LOL....kinda a ruff situation with the family and such!

deejeff442

you can still hire an inspector.the loan dont go through untill you get to the title company and sign the final paperwork.although you would lose the earnest money.i have been in the house building arena for 24 years and i strongly suggest an inspection.even just little things like a water heater ,a window a soft spot on a floor will add up fast in repairs.

2quills

Perhaps you guys could just rent something for a little while. Or find a rent to own. No offence but it doesn't sound like you're married yet and purchasing a home together is a life changing ordeal. Have you guys lived on your own before?

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388102/house/20#post_3420752
Perhaps you guys could just rent something for a little while. Or find a rent to own. No offence but it doesn't sound like you're married yet and purchasing a home together is a life changing ordeal. Have you guys lived on your own before?
My wife and I bought our house together 2 years before we got married....

2quills

How old were you when that happened and did you guys have experience living with members of the opposite sex before hand? That usually makes a big difference. When your young life seems like a long time. And then you wake up one day and realize its actually pretty short. I've seen to many friends and family, myself included make the mistake or rushing into something major that your not prepared for out of desperation. No need to rush things is all I'm sayin.

reefraff

Don't rush into buying a house for the sake of buying a house. Moving twice is a lot less hassle than getting rid of a house you hate.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388102/house/20#post_3420761
How old were you when that happened and did you guys have experience living with members of the opposite sex before hand? That usually makes a big difference. When your young life seems like a long time. And then you wake up one day and realize its actually pretty short. I've seen to many friends and family, myself included make the mistake or rushing into something major that your not prepared for out of desperation. No need to rush things is all I'm sayin.
We got married a little older than most, so I get your point. I was 32 and my wife (then girlfriend) was 33. We both had lived with previous significant others in the past. At the time we got together she was living on her own and I was sharing a house with a few friends.