How about a Mandarin Dragonet?

karenm

Looking for my last 2 fish for my 40 gal tank which already has my cleanup crew, 2 shrimp, a scooter blenny, and a 6 line wrasse. The Mandarin has made it to the finals, and I'm submitting him for your approval.
I'll probably end up getting a clown for my last fish. I'd like them all to get along so I have a peaceful tank. I don't have corals or anemones now, but I'd like to soon.
Yea's or Nay's?

crazyaqua

nay also you need a huge amount of live rock plus you already have a scooter so it would be competing for food

turningtim

Mandrins need a LOT of rock to fed. There has to be enough pod production in the rock or the mandrin will starve. They need an established tank of a least a year or more.
Sorry but I think in a 40 gal you can't have enough rock in order for this fish to survive........
Sorry but I'm a nay.
HTH
Tim

seasalt101

nays two pod eaters the one will be tough in a 40 to small not enough lr is this tank even established yet? you might lose the scooter if not how many lbs. of lr are in there and do you supplement with live pods?...tobin

karenm

Grrrrr!
I'm either going to have to scrap my tank and get a larger one or decide not to have corals.

karenm

It just seems like I can't have any of the really unusual looking fish because of my small tank - or shrimp, or coral. To get anything really beautiful or unusual, you've got to have a large tank or no "reefy" things.

karenm

I really don't mean to sound so whiney, I just wish I'd asked all these questions before getting started. :eek:)

karenm

Tobin - the tank is about a month old (cycled with bio-spira), and I've had the blenny about that long as well. At last count I had ~ 43lbs of LR, give or take. I don't supplement with pods - don't even know what a pod is. :eek:( Unfortunately I got started with the advice/instructions from some LFS's that I've since realized really aren't in it for the fish. So now I'm trying to decide which direction to go - sort of To Reef Or Not To Reef.

larryndana

Originally Posted by TurningTim
LnD have you purchased pods from here before? Just curious.....
nope, not yet at least. have you or heard anything about them?

larryndana

KarenM, you may need to slow down. lfs are out to make money, there are some good ones....but even those are out to make money....so be careful of what they say.
first thing i'd do in your situation is....by one or two books and read them. they will help you understand most of what you need to know. i'd start with either 'The New Marine Aquarium' or 'Conscientious Marine Aquarist'. i've read the new marine aquarium and you won't go wrong reading it at all. the other i haven't read but seen several recommend it(i think i may go buy it this weekend now that i'm thinking about it).
these books will give you a boost in the right direction with how to setup and maintain a saltwater aquarium. also it will cover the different types of fish available for saltwater.
so....i'd leave your tank as is....and learn some more before you lose what you have now.

spanko

KarenM you are doing good take a deep breath. The fish you have are good and a clown or even two are good additons. There are also plenty of other fish you could put in just remember to keep your bio load where you filtration can handle it. As for coral I can see no reason you can't keep them in this tank. What kind of lighting do you have?
Fish
Yellow or blue assessor.
Gobies
Blennys
Anthias
Clowns
Chromis

larryndana

i'd forget the mandarin and get two clowns....they are more fun to watch in pairs....then watch and read....good luck.

turningtim

LnD, no I haven't just curious b/c I'm setting up a 120 with a 50 fuge and thought these bugs would be a good addition once I get things going. I mean a pod is a pod right?
Karen I think you are under estimating what you can do with your tank. I've seen quite a few great smaller tanks. As said before do some reading and enjoy this. No stress!
I would agree the The conscientious marine aquarist" is a great book....

karenm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've definitely learned not to trust the one LFS where I bought the tank. Even the LFS that the local club recommends contradicts what I'm reading and hearing in other places.
Right now I have just the plain light - just the generic black plastic hood and light. (I'm on a tight budget so I'm moving slowly - but I plan to get some decent lights as soon as I can). AFter that I'd like to start working on my corals. But that may be 2 or 3 months down the line. I'll probably just get a small clown for now. Should I get a clown without an anemone for him?

spanko

Clowns don't NEED an anemone, anemones don't NEED clowns. Clowns will find just about anything to be their host, or sometimes not want a host at all. If you buy two small clowns as they grow one will become a female and the other a male and you will have a mated pair. Mated pairs wil often make nests and lay eggs, not that any will survive unless you get way into raising them, but fun to watch.

karenm

I may get a pair of clowns, but that will be my 4 fish. I'm still thinking on it, it's a big decision.