how bad did i mess up?

new

about a week ago i purchased a pistol shrimp. the lfs guy was aware of my plans for the tank and what i have in it and made no mention of a problem. now i have done some reasearch here and have come to find that the pistols are only slightly less a problem than the mantis? i know where he calls home and think he has removed at least 1 red leg crab but probably 2. are they that bad and if so can he be housed in my sump which is a rubbermaid tub?

bang guy

I've never heard of a Pistol shrimp harming a hermit crab. They dig a lot but I don't think they are predators.

hunterdaddy

Yes they are preadtors. They kill crabs and other shrimp by stunning them with their "pistol".
The pistol is actually a claw that snaps together and the force of it stuns nearby prey. According to the discovery channel it can be heard for several hundred yards underwater.

new

i can attest to the volumn, thats what started this, i heard clicking in the tank, thought maybe a mantis but much worse i placed it there on purpose :(

LFS are in the business of selling. If you ask for 5 clownfish, 2 anenomae, 68 lbs of salt, and a 10gal "glass box" with 4 powerheads...IME he may try to talk you out of one of the clownfishes.
Obviously, not every LFS is mercenary. But as an honerable aquarist, the merchants opinion should be considered as just that.
PS. My LFS gives me "flavor of the day "info. So I may be a little bitter.