how do I get MY tank crystal clear "help "

newfishliny

my tanks been running since oct 2002 .
I have about six diffrent corals , and there doing fine.
I just took 2 loose mushrooms that where lying on the sand, and put them on a piece of rock , then wraped the rock with plactic netting ( rubber bands ) left alone for ten days , now they are secure on the rock.
Back to my water.... i just cant seem to get it clear like the fish stores...... did water changes ect. I run a mag 9 as a return on my 90 gal with bulk head fittings.
I run a aqua c 120 skimmer that works well, it collects alot of green slime. also a 9 watt uv light that i just installed (hellix).
I run 3 strips of 110 watts pc = 330watts-
I really think I have all the right equipment, and better.
should I use a mech filter , whats the problem.
1 drawf flame back
1 beautiful queen angel small
1 gobie
1 scooter
hermits, snails , sally foot
CAN ANYONE GIVE SOME DIRECTION ON MY TANK FOR WATER CLARITY.
PS. i FINE ALOT OF FISH DROPPINGS ON THE SAND
THANK FOR READING THIS LONG THREAD
NEW FISH

cadbury

I actually have the same problem, I'm interested in some responses as well? All my parameters are all where there suppose to be. It just does'nt look as clear as it should?

majakarot

what does your water look like? is it micro bubbles? dust particles?
a partially plugged filter or pump can cause a lot of micro bubbles that might make your tank look like the water isn't clear

cadbury

as far as mine goes, I run a ecosystem. Its a 180 gallon aquarium, I have a Mag 12 running on it, no bubbles. It just looks a little dingy, cloudy, not crystal clear?

cadbury

the only problem is that I have a 180 acylic and there is really no opening to put a hang on or something for a few hours or days for that matter, its all enclosed! :confused:

newfishliny

Originally posted by coralcollector
Add more corals they filter the water crystal clear:)

ok I have no problem with that , can suggest any or have pic's.
I did by a maxima clam you know the one that has purple mouth,
its small but looks great.
any help would help my tank
thanks Don

chef jaysen

Despite making sure that all your filters are clean, (monthly), Kent makes a product called pro clear that works real good. This attracts all the real small particles together then they get sucked up into the filter. Its reef safe and all that. Once a week and thats it.:D

steve40

There are a couple products out there that work very well. "pro clear" is one of them, another one I think is called "crystal clear," but any how they are not hard to come by and like chef jaysen said it does clump all the small particles together to make it easier for the filter to take them out. It definately works well.

reefur.

Originally posted by simm
You can run carbon for a couple of days as well.

I run carbon all the time, change it monthly.

nm reef

What works for me is plenty of circulation...keep the filter system clean and functioning(refugium&sump here)...keep your bio-load as low as possible...plenty of scavnegers to tidy up...good skimmer to clean up the water...a good mix of actinic & 10k lighting...carbon once a month for a few days.
Maybe I'm lucky...but my water pretty much stays clear and trouble free.
I'd hesitate to use any additives to clear dingy water...first I'd identify the source of any problem...then correct it...before using any chemical product.:cool:

mbuckley

I'm just curious, if your worried about the clarity of your water why would you risk adding corals to your system?
Personally I feel I have been extremely lucky, I've got a heavy bioload in my tank and everything is thriving and the water is cyrstal clear. I've got 5 different corals, but I wouldn't add any if i was worried about my water...
Just my .02 cents though...