How do I make my 46 gallon tank reef ready

adesimone1

I have a 46 Gallon Tank it is a freshwater set up right now. My husband is moving the freshwater set up to a new 55 gallon tank. How do I begin to set up the 46 high for a reef set up. And should I purchase a uv sterilizer for it.
I would appreciate any help.

acrylic51

An RO/DI unit and a good skimmer would be my top choices for initial equipment to purchase.....UV isn't a must and IMO back burner.......What are you planning on keeping in your reef? Are you open to drilling and modifing the tank a bit or use a HOB overflow system?

adesimone1

I do have a protein skimmer and a wet dry filter with the overflow box I'm not sure what I'm going to put in the tank yet. How much live rock should I use?
and is live sand better then crushed coral. I want it to stand out since it is set up in our living room along with the 55 gallon fresh. As colorful as I can get without killing my wallet. A few variety of fish as well as corals

acrylic51

You've got 1/2 the battle licked......
Live Rock is really up to you....Alot of people say between 1-2lbs per gallon?? That's a good ballpark figure, but alot depends on the type of LR your going to use.....IMO something on the Fiji or Florida rock is very dense IMO which would cost more per say than something like Solomon or Tonga rock which is more open and would allow better water flow.....The amount of LR is also dependent on what looks asethically pleasing to you as well.....
I would have to say that sand is better to use than crushed coral, and there are tons of threads here on that topic so I won't really go into that, but CC tends to trap more "crap" creating headaches down the road.....I'm not an advocate for DSB as well......I prefer a SSB. DSB= Deep Sand Bed, SSB= Shallow Sand Bed. Alot of people will say you need a DSB to effectively run a successfull reef, and that isn't true. A SSB will more than work. If you choose to run a DSB you could do so in your fuge......
I don't think you'll have any issues as to finding nice colorful things in the hobby....One area you might want to look at or get an idea is what corals interest you to help make a decision on lighting. HTH

1journeyman

Sand is better than CC. Do a search on the forums for sand... CC can work, but it requires more work with none of the benefits.
UV, up to you... a QT setup is much more effective.
corals=a possible serious upgrade to lighting. Depends on the kind of corals you want.

adesimone1

Just starting out I would like to go with some of the easier corals then if it works for me upgrading in the future. For my size tank what would be the best lighting? I have light that has 4-36w combo it is 35 in long all white bulbs. Would that get me started

adesimone1

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Sand is better than CC. Do a search on the forums for sand... CC can work, but it requires more work with none of the benefits.
UV, up to you... a QT setup is much more effective.
corals=a possible serious upgrade to lighting. Depends on the kind of corals you want.
What is a QT set up?

acrylic51

QT= quarantine tank......basically when you get new additions for your tank instead of putting them in the main system and wondering if your going to have any problems (ick, or other illnesses) you place them in quarantine and observe them......How deep is the tank?

adesimone1

Originally Posted by acrylic51
QT= quarantine tank......basically when you get new additions for your tank instead of putting them in the main system and wondering if your going to have any problems (ick, or other illnesses) you place them in quarantine and observe them......How deep is the tank?
36Lx24Hx12

ophiura

Just so you know, this tank will not support a lot of fish. I don't know if you have a experience with saltwater but I just try and say that real soon to those with freshwater experience. Totally different ballgame
Especially not if it is a reef. Perhaps 5 very small fish (eg clowns, dottybacks, small wrasses, firefish) but not much larger. And in a reef, typically there are far fewer fish to preserve water quality.
IMO, you don't need a UV.
Are your lights normal output or compact flourescent?

adesimone1

this is what is on the end of the light
FPL-36w
combo
transworldaqua
the fixture is 35L and has four sets in all

nigerbang

Originally Posted by acrylic51
....UV isn't a must
Sorry about the comment the other day about UV's being bad for reefs...going off of info from one the the doctors flunkies..did more research which I should have did before I opened my mouth..

adesimone1

Originally Posted by NigerBang
Sorry about the comment the other day about UV's being bad for reefs...going off of info from one the the doctors flunkies..did more research which I should have did before I opened my mouth..
So I could use a uv sterilizer?

nigerbang

acrylic knows alot more about them than I would I'm sure I have been told that they are nondiscriminating and can kill good bacteria(thats what I meant instead of trace elements acrylic)but they wont crash a system..I did more research and am thinking of getting one..

adesimone1

acrylic knows alot more about them than I would I'm sure I have been told that they are nondiscriminating and can kill good bacteria(thats what I meant instead of trace elements acrylic)but they wont crash a system..I did more research and am thinking of getting one..
Yeah, I am looking at one now. Did you look at my lighting source in previous threads. What do you think?

adesimone1

sure didnt...sorry..Can you give me a run through?
Just starting out I would like to go with some of the easier corals then if it works for me upgrading in the future. For my size tank what would be the best lighting? I have light that has 4-36w combo it is 35 in long all white bulbs. Would that get me started
this is what is on the end of the light
FPL-36w
combo
transworldaqua
the fixture is 35L and has four sets in all
My tank is 36Lx24Hx12