How do mushrooms reproduce?

hiddenicon

i bought a mushroom rock full of pink mushrooms today and was wondering how they reproduce? and will there be anymore in my tank?

belothsurf

one mushroom meets another mushroom......hopefully there is a bottle of wine included......one mushrooom say's "Hi"..................that's the way I always did it.......ok....wrong thread......:D :D :D

bang guy

Mushrooms reproduce using three methods:
1 - Pedal Laceration.
2 - Fission (spliting).
3 - Sexual reproduction.
1 - When a mushroom is injured or crawls it can leave small pieces of flesh behind. Under good conditions these small pieces can grow into clones of the original. This is the most common form of mushroom reproduction.
2 - Fission is common with mushrooms. They will grow an additional mouth or two. The mouths will slowly grow apart and eventually the mushroom will just split into identical smaller mushrooms.
3 - Mushrooms will also release sperm & eggs. Some species have distinct Male & Female Mushrooms and some species are hermaphrodites. The eggs mix with sperm in the water column and get fertilized. I've never heard of offspring resulting from this in a captive environment.

liquidskys

correct me if im wrong BANG but,
isnt it true that you can cut the head off a mushroom leaving the stalk and the stalk with grow a new head..
and then the head you cut off.. you cut into 4 peices and each will grow into a full shroom again!
mushrooms are a wonderful coral to play with.. :D

brinkdrum

liquidskys thats actually exactly what i did. You cut off the head leaving the base and cut the head in half or quarters and take a rock and put toole over it and those four attach themselves to the rock in a couple weeks and the original base grows a head again.

bang guy

Originally posted by liquidskys
correct me if im wrong BANG but,
isnt it true that you can cut the head off a mushroom leaving the stalk and the stalk with grow a new head..

See My answer above on option 1. See the part about "injured".
:D
Bang

nflnutswif

Not sure if I'm stealing a thread but, We bought a few new mushroom frags yesterday and one (the largest) is refusing to stay put. I turned off the PH for the night to see if that would help but he's in a crevice now and not where I want him!
Any advice on stationing?
:confused: