How do you fund your hobby???

puffer32

Originally Posted by Reeferman1
I'm a Commercial Artist-Creative Director. I've worked on animation and advertising for various movies such as: The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, Batman, Spiderman, X-men, etc. Now I'm doing alot of design work for Harley Davidson and West Coast Choppers. It has alot of pressure but it's very cool to get paid to draw and I love what I do.

reefman1, i would love your job! At least the part about working for disney, my passion besides my tank, is Disney world!

maeistero

Originally Posted by carshark
i sell cars, no children, and make good money..
so just cars. dang, i was hoping to buy some children off of you.

nm reef

I'm the milkman...money is decent...and the area I live in has a relatively low cost of living(bought a 2800 sq ft house in 2000 for under $60,000)...but the hrs can be brutal!!!!
Plus I maintain aquariums for a few local clients...clear about $350 a month doing that which feeds my habit.

reefnut

Originally Posted by crashedin0
getting paid bout 19/hr at 18 years old

Get a rig... we pay our rig welders 23.50/hr + 13/hr for their rig... so a total of 36.50/hr. How would it be making that at 18?? It can happen.

ithorian_r

im a college student, i managed to get all my school paid for by scholarships. so i have a part time job to cover my rent and food. whats left over i put towards my fist tank. i used to work as a student athletic trainer for the university but i was working almost 40hrs/week and traveling plus school. that was too much so now i work at a restraunt

bluelagoon

let's see... i work part time at GNC (selling vitamins... yippee) and also work at my college giving tours to prospective students.

J

jdragunas

I used to do that...
Lake Erie college was founded in 1863 by a group of nuns.... blah blah blah... Isn't i boring?

denny80689

I manage a bunch of cable installers while running the IT department. Its a small company so I have lots of free time
Also do some home technology work on the side. Installing home theater systems, home networks, etc... More of a hobby then anything. I would love to go full time with it but finding builders to work with has been a challenge.

squirrel

I am a "Governmental Auditor" for a CPA firm…to break it down, I audit medical claims at a very big health insurance company in NC.

misty7850

I am a Nurse, I work at Nursing home here in Daytona. Skilled unit. .. Mostly take care of Geriatric patients, but have some younger patients come in now and again.

crashedin0

Originally Posted by ReefNut
Get a rig... we pay our rig welders 23.50/hr + 13/hr for their rig... so a total of 36.50/hr. How would it be making that at 18?? It can happen.
i was actual looking in to underwater welding 80+dollar/hr(diving and welding to awsome things)
FYI the navy hooks you with free training to fix ships but the war hmmmmmm

but the gases that release from the weld and the water evaporating hav blown sky high with the slightest spark

i dont lik big booms unless i can control them
:hilarious

roofis

Well, I'm a student, in the

[hr]
business, but what makes my money is selling Louis vuitton wallets on ----. :eek:)

scubadoo

I am an accountant and crunch numbers all dayand other fun stuff. I used to work in auditing ..a little more exciting area...yeah right. The most interesting job I had was working in the economic crime unit for a local DA back home...not boring but the unit was dissolved for "political" reasons.
I had a brief stint here in AZ as business manger with a public school district...that was FRUSTRATING!!
I worked for years in government or government related entities but i found that to be very

Fortunately, I make enough money to support my fish habit...but I cannot say it was always this way....especially when I worked as a carpernter defore returning to college and "finishing".
I still look for "deals" and refuse to purchase a new system. My ex-wife also did not share in my hobby and was always looking for an excuse to deep six my systems. I guess some fire breathin dragons do not appreciate the creatures from the sea.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by misty7850
I am a Nurse, I work at Nursing home here in Daytona. Skilled unit. .. Mostly take care of Geriatric patients, but have some younger patients come in now and again.
God bless great folks like you. I had to place my dad in a nursing home...he passed 18 months ago...toughest thing I have ever done. While he was there he always told me what good care he received and was always complimenttary, I have a great respect for the care givers.
I'm sure you are not thanked often enough.

misty7850

Originally Posted by pitbull01
What's that G-word mean? Sorry, I am an idiot...

Wasn't sure if you were talking to me, but if you were the G-word (Geriatric) means
Definition: branch of medicine that deals with the problems and diseases of old age and aging people. To put it simply.. I take care of mostly Old people. And I really enjoy it.
Sometimes I take small video's with my camera of my aquarium and take it to work to show my patients. They love it.. say it is very relaxing, to watch the tank inhabitants.
There is a 55 gallon freshwater tank in our main entrance, which houses goldfish. Many of the residents also enjoy sitting there watching that tank.
Scubadoo: Thanks much for the compliments. Sometimes nursing can be very frustrating (as I'm sure with any job).. But every time I get frustrated with the bureaucratic BS, and red tape.. I take a good look at my patients, and know it is all worth it.

snailheave

Originally Posted by diane4
I am a project manager for Siemens Business Services, the US division of the German based company. I work full time on the MetLife account managing their desktops/laptops/monitor asset inventory. I used to do site support work, but now I manage a small team of 3 people and the billable inventory for Siemens.
Part time at night, I am a PowerSeller on the big auction site selling pet books to the world.
<ears perk up>
let's network

reefnut

Originally Posted by crashedin0
i was actual looking in to underwater welding 80+dollar/hr(diving and welding to awsome things)
FYI the navy hooks you with free training to fix ships but the war hmmmmmm

but the gases that release from the weld and the water evaporating hav blown sky high with the slightest spark

i dont lik big booms unless i can control them
:hilarious

Welding as a career is a hard life... have you thought about college?? If I had one single decision that I could change in my past... it would be the decision to go to college right out of high school. It's hard to go back to school later on in your live. I went back after about 4 years... and I struggled, didn't do as well as I'd hoped... my wife still has 3/4 of a year left... she returned after having two kid and after being a stay at home mom for about 2 years... and about 9 years after graduating high school. Trust me... it's easier to do it now.