how do you promote coraline growth?

threed240

Originally Posted by coral1119
Also, would crzy glue help? it is gel based. Do i really have to let it set outside of the water? Does anyone think crazy glue will dry under water?won't it harm the coral? I guess not since crzy glue only needs like 15 seconds to cure. will it cure if the surfaces are wet?
Crazy glue will work fine. Use rubber gloves with it. You can glue underwater, its just a little more difficult to manage. It will congeal almost instantly. Its best to try and remove the rock, glue it, wait a sec., and place it back in. It will cure if the surfaces are wet. Its non-toxic so it won't harm corals. I've used it for years. You can also try tieing the coral to a rock with fishing wire, or a string.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by coral1119
also, can I use regular crazy glue to attach corals to rocks? Or is the special glue for that actually different? Can you propogate just any coral? As of now i want to splice my some of my xenias because they've grown multiple stalks. I'm assuming just splice right down the middle of the stalk? I also wish to cut some polyps off my mushrooms to transfer. just cut at the base? please advise.
thanks you guys.
the special glue is the same thing just more expensive because some one labled it as reef safe. stupid but true. you want cyanoacrylate glue. krazy glue super glue, reef glue, they are all the same thing. remember gell is easier to use. yes you can frag any coral, the method used depends on the coral, I wouldnt try superglueing xenia it wont work. use a rubber band to hold it against a rock untill it attaches, after you cut it. you can cut it just about anywhere you want to.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
No, there is nothing adverse about those levels. The Calcium is very high but it's not unreasonable.
Thanks I should be receiving 200g mix later this week.

marine

I used an exacto knife and performed the surgery on my xenias last night. I used crazy glue and it does work instantly. the only thing was i poured too much so parts of the xenia i didn't want attached got attached
. But's a learning experience.
Does anyone else have a say regarding keeping their skimmer on when adding any chemical additives? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the skimmer off for a few hours when doing so? I would think the skimmer would pick it right up. Any thoughts?

earlybird

Originally Posted by marine
Does anyone else have a say regarding keeping their skimmer on when adding any chemical additives? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the skimmer off for a few hours when doing so? I would think the skimmer would pick it right up. Any thoughts?
I'd like to know also. Anyone?

aztec reef

i keep my skimmer running 24/7 allways.imo the skimmer doesn't do a fast enuf turnover to interfer with the medications. the only time my skimmer is off is every 2mos. when ever i clean it. ***)

zeroc

Hmmm... ok, i use Red Sea's Alk test and it's in "Milli Equivalents per Liter" and the scale goes from 0 - 1.6 Low, 1.7 - 2.8 Normal, 2.9 - 3.6 High.

mudplayerx

The only time I turn the skimmer off is if it starts going crazy during feeding.
As far as not using Purpleup, I see no reason at all to advise against using this product. It raises calcium, which is easily tested for. When used in conjunction with an alkalinity buffer it is no different than other 2-part additives commonly used.
I have been using Purpleup for about 8 months now and I've experienced nothing but stable water parameters and ease of dosing.

earlybird

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
The only time I turn the skimmer off is if it starts going crazy during feeding.
As far as not using Purpleup, I see no reason at all to advise against using this product. It raises calcium, which is easily tested for. When used in conjunction with an alkalinity buffer it is no different than other 2-part additives commonly used.
I have been using Purpleup for about 8 months now and I've experienced nothing but stable water parameters and ease of dosing.
Just curious do you drip purple up or add the required amount in full? Couldn't find directions on the net.

teen

purple up you can just dump a capful in (best to dump in the sump if you have one), it doesnt need to be dripped.
ive noticed that since i started dosin kalk, my DKH stays at 8 or 9 and my calcium is in the mid 400's. since i started doing this coraline grows like crazy.
only problem im having is that i have a lot of light on my tank so the coraline grows mostly in shaded ares and on the sides of the LR where there isnt direct light.

bang guy

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
As far as not using Purpleup, I see no reason at all to advise against using this product.
If the hobbiest isn't testing Calcium and Alkalinity do you still recommend blindly adding a Calcium additive? I think that was the point.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
If the hobbiest isn't testing Calcium and Alkalinity do you still recommend blindly adding a Calcium additive? I think that was the point.
Nope. Definately do not dose anything that you don't have the respective test kit for.