How do you stop them b4 they start

forcrz6

Majano anemones. How do you kill them b4 they even have a chance to get in to your tank. Mine seem to laugh at joes juice, They cringe at hot water but still come back. I am about ready to take the rock and put them in my water on my fire pit and let them boil for 24 hours. Then Buy some new rock to re seed.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcrz6 http:///t/388252/how-do-you-stop-them-b4-they-start#post_3422910
Majano anemones. How do you kill them b4 they even have a chance to get in to your tank. Mine seem to laugh at joes juice, They cringe at hot water but still come back. I am about ready to take the rock and put them in my water on my fire pit and let them boil for 24 hours. Then Buy some new rock to re seed.
Get a chocolate chip sea star or a red general...they are NOT reef safe, so you can't keep them if you have coral. However once eradicated off your live rock they wont return. So get a sea star for a short while then find a home for it before you start adding coral.

bang guy

If they are Majano you can scrape them off the rock or dig them out of their hole. I used a wooden skewer or a chopstick but a fingernail or ***** card has also worked. One of the few useful tasks for a ***** card.
Do NOT do this with Aiptasia or you will simply make more of them.

forcrz6

They are Majano. Just seems nothing works on these littler B@#$@##. I can get them off the glass fine, It just the fact that they just come out of nowhere and then multiply like crazy. I really feel that they have an immunity to joes juice. Now it is nothing but Majano as far as the eye can see in my tank.

forcrz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/388252/how-do-you-stop-them-b4-they-start#post_3422923
If they are Majano you can scrape them off the rock or dig them out of their hole. I used a wooden skewer or a chopstick but a fingernail or ***** card has also worked. One of the few useful tasks for a ***** card.
Do NOT do this with Aiptasia or you will simply make more of them.
I was told this is the same for Majano.

saltcreaper

I have had manjanos if that is correct spelling since i started and have never had a hard time controling them cause they dont reproduce that quickly i might have like ten right know and its takin like a year to get back up to ten from like three i dont mind a few they look like small bubble tips, now aptaisa is a very different story they are the one thing ive never been rid of and they do expload when not managed by pepermint shrimp or a copperband but i dont know what eats the manjano in the past i have just removed them pretty easy by putting the piece of rock in a bucket over night with lid on and they seen to let go of the rock i guess to find a better spot being thrown off by the bucket and temp change and mabie cause theres no flow but this has worked for manjano but not aptaisa.

forcrz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltcreaper http:///t/388252/how-do-you-stop-them-b4-they-start#post_3423225
I have had manjanos if that is correct spelling since i started and have never had a hard time controling them cause they dont reproduce that quickly i might have like ten right know and its takin like a year to get back up to ten from like three i dont mind a few they look like small bubble tips, now aptaisa is a very different story they are the one thing ive never been rid of and they do expload when not managed by pepermint shrimp or a copperband but i dont know what eats the manjano in the past i have just removed them pretty easy by putting the piece of rock in a bucket over night with lid on and they seen to let go of the rock i guess to find a better spot being thrown off by the bucket and temp change and mabie cause theres no flow but this has worked for manjano but not aptaisa.
I don't know if you and I are talking about the same thing. Majano's are small green with orange tips anemones. here is a pic of 1 that is young b4 they have the red tips

They are known to reproduce very fast.
I have always fought with these little things and always seem to get them. That is why I am to the point I think i am going to tare down the 120, and start from anew. I will have to Migrate the 4 fish over to the 55, But I guess what I would like to know is, after I have Boiled the rock. And I have the tank cleaned out. What should I do to prevent these little pests from showing their ugly head again for the 5th time now?

saltcreaper

wow looks right, ive just never had a break out like you describe. When i was new this punk at a store in mn sold me a piece of tonga rock with like 8 or so on it and you know when your new you are excited at anything so he told me they were a type of bubble tip anenome that were really good for a beginer and he was wright about 80% of what he said, so fast forward 4-5 years of hobby and like i said have kept them only cause they have been very manageable for me. The one thing that has worked for me is to take the rock out and put it in a bucket with lid over night and most will let go to search for better grounds has worked for me mabie 36 hours max..hope this helps.......

1guydude

have u tried aptasiaX ....i know it says right on it aptasia but i had a dark brown/black pest anenome that i thought to be mojano and i havent seen one since....move in slow and let it grab the syringe, than bam squirt the lil guy! I do indeed find aptasia to be a pest more so than the mojano...

forcrz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/388252/how-do-you-stop-them-b4-they-start#post_3423857
have u tried aptasiaX ....i know it says right on it aptasia but i had a dark brown/black pest anenome that i thought to be mojano and i havent seen one since....move in slow and let it grab the syringe, than bam squirt the lil guy! I do indeed find aptasia to be a pest more so than the mojano...
Yea. They seem to just eat that and grow bigger.

forcrz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltcreaper http:///t/388252/how-do-you-stop-them-b4-they-start#post_3423845
wow looks right, ive just never had a break out like you describe. When i was new this punk at a store in mn sold me a piece of tonga rock with like 8 or so on it and you know when your new you are excited at anything so he told me they were a type of bubble tip anenome that were really good for a beginer and he was wright about 80% of what he said, so fast forward 4-5 years of hobby and like i said have kept them only cause they have been very manageable for me. The one thing that has worked for me is to take the rock out and put it in a bucket with lid over night and most will let go to search for better grounds has worked for me mabie 36 hours max..hope this helps.......
That is the only thing I have not tried YET, so i think Ill give that a try.

forcrz6

Well i am going to Rebump this to let you all know where I am at with this.
Well After spending $100+ on joes juice and the aptasiaX, the Majano just seem to eat it like rosanne barr at an all u can eat in las vegas. I did not have a very good response as far as them dieing off. so i went to the extreme. I got a butt load of new live rock, (140lbs worth) and had them curing in a 55 I set up for well over 4 months now after i had (AHem) "Rid them" of any thing that could start the explosion all over again.
I use "Rid them" In the loosest of terms. By my definition "rid them" means taking a 5 gallon stock pot that I bought from the store, and cooking there butts for about 2 days on a propane burner. (extreme, maybe) but heck, nothing survived. I then took out my old 55g and set it up with salt water (No sand) as a "Cure tank.". Dropped the newly cooked rocks in it, and did weekly water changes. Thankfully the Calc reactor that i have got the rocks all nice and pretty with Orange, Green, and purple Coraline. Now 4 months later I am taking the rocks out of the main Display and they are going in to the desginated Cooking pot. I hope that this weekend i should have the switch done from old to new rocks. That is after i clean up the glass from all these little Majano B#@!$#@$%.
The only issue that I forsee right now are 3 of the rocks that I have. 2 have leather toadstools on them that are well over 8 YO now, and another has a Pinktip on it. the pink tim I am thinking I will try to have move off of it by putting it in a 35g with no light, and then leave an opening where i want the light to attract the pink tip to.
the leathers, I have no clue how to get them off the rocks that are infested with these little buggers. Any suggestions?

forcrz6

Yea, i tried that. that did not work out so well on the rock. Glass, no problem. Rock they just did not want to come off.
Doh, you mean the leathers dont you?
Yea did not try that, wasn't even sure where to start at if I did think of that.

forcrz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/388252/how-do-you-stop-them-b4-they-start#post_3447773
Make sure you check your overflows/filters/pumps/skimmer/etc so that there are no majanos anywhere.
HAHA. I am 1 step ahead of you. When i decided to do this 4 months ago. I turned off all lights in the sump, and also was able to black out the overflow. None in any part of the overflow/sump. But thanks for reminding me about this. I do need to check that and do some salt creep cleanup before I put the new rock in since the water will not be flowing with all the rock missing in the main display.