How effective are cleaner shrimp?

So I have what seems to be an ich outbreak it's not bad but it's not good. It also seems more noticeable at night. I had a few questions first is ich worse at night and do you know why. And I got a cleaner shrimp because they are said to help with it and if so how effect are they

bang guy

I think the Shrimp do remove some of the parasites and do make the fish feel a little better but as a cure they fall short.

lmforbis

Best done in a hospital tank. There aren't any treatments for ich that won't kill inverts. Either copper or hyposalinity in a hospital tank. Unfortunately your tank is now infected with ich so you need to leave it fish free for 72 days so the ich dies off other wise the fish will just get reinfected as soon as you return them. Once you are rid of ich quarantine all new fish for at least 30 days prior to adding to your tank. That way you will see any disease and can treat before adding to your tank.

And since my spare tank is small could I remove my shrimp in to a different tank and then treat ich or will the treatment kill everything else

lmforbis

Outside of killing all the critters that aren't fish there are other problems with treating in your display tank. It will be absorbed by your rock which will make it difficult to maintain a therapeutic level. Once the copper is absorbed by the rocks and sand it will leach back into your tank for an unknown amount of time making it impossible to keep inverts for a long time, if ever.