How fast does aptasia multiply?

sheracr123

I have something that I think is aptasia. It appeared in my tank out of know where about 6 weeks ago. The tank has been set up for about 18 months. I have not added anything new in the last 6 months. It does retreat into the rock when you touch it, and it has moved 1 time right after I moved the tank. Since it showed up 6 weeks ago, there are no new creatures appearing. I have no corals in the tank, only some polyps and a shroom, so it is not bothering anything either.
Also, whats the diffrence between aptasia and a glass anemone?
Thanks

flamingkingofhe

do a search on aptasia and you will be able to see some pics and determine weather or not that is what you have also you can do a search on glass anemones and that will give you some good info as far as the rate that they reproduce at i dont think there is any given rate that says 1 a day etc. but they can multiply vary quickly especially if the proper conditions are provided so be careful
once you identify what it is if it is a glass anemone or aptasia i recommend you kill it and the way to do this is inject it with kalkwasser paste
i am not vary familiar with the glass anemone but i do believe that some differences between the aptaisia and glass are appearance for one and i believe that the glass has a more powerful sting

bang guy

Theoretically a single Aiptasia could make 10,000 clones of itself in less than a month. This isn't going to happen without an unlimited food supply but it's no exaggeration. Some species reproduce very very fast, others take a while.

mossad327

I had one in my tank for about two months without it reproducing at all. I thought, "What's the big deal? It's not doing anything." I now have close to 100 Aptasia in my tank. Don't make the same mistake I did. Kill it off as fast as you can.

offshore80

OK, you convinced me to put to death the 3 aptasia stems I had in my tank. I hit them with kalk paste. Now they shot back into the hole and the past kinda got water born. Will it hurt the fish or inverts in my tank I sure don't want any "friendly" fire incedents. Or does it just disapate and is OK?

sheracr123

After studying my "creature" for a few days I am not convinced it is aptasia. I am leaning more towards a curly q. I did see what looked like bands on the tentacles and the tentacles are not completely smooth. 9 months ago I had a curly q and it disappeared. I thought it died. Maybe it has miraculously come back to life? Anyway I am not going to kill it just yet.
Thanks for all the responses!!!

timsedwards

give it a soothing atmosphere and some barry white and I imagine very fast :D
Serously though, IME it only multiplies at a rate of knots if you disturb it or damage it.
Tim.