How I drill my tanks...

aw2

I was redoing another sump today and while the silicone dried, I figured I might as well do something productive.
So, I pulled the 'ole 200gal. out and drilled more holes for the returns and for the proposed closed loop.
I just thought I'd give a little photo tutorial, showing how I always drill my tanks...which I've found to be the easiest and cheapest way.
I use a Dremel MultiPro, with a universal chuck, so that I can use a RotoZip Tile Bit...

First, I draw out the hole...these, in particular, are 1.5".

Then, using a water hose, to supply constant water...I drill a pilot hole...

Still using constant water flow, from the garden hose, I then cut a line out to the pre-drawn line where the hole will go...

From there, I just follow the line...

More pics to follow, as I finish the other holes. ***)

aw2

It's a ceramic tile bit, yes...it costs about $7, which is much better (IMO) than the $90 - $150 diamond hole saws.
And, it's 3/4" thick glass.

jakebtc

Awesome, my grandparents have a rotozip and a dremel.
I think those bits already too but even if not, I think I might try this next time I need to drill. I've been taking tanks to the glass shop rather then buying hole saws... now I have a better alternative. thanks

aw2

No problem...glad I could help.
With my 200gal. (48x30x30), it was too heavy to load up and take to a glass company (plus, I didnt have a truck) and the cheapest I found was $25, per hole. The tank is going to have a total of 9 holes (4 closed loop returns, 1 closed loop drain, 2 drains and 2 sump returns).
Ceramic tile is just as brittle and fragile as glass, so I figured if that bit would work on tile, it'd work on glass.
With constant water flow, from something like a water hose, I can zip out 1.5" holes in less than 3 minutes.

grmreapr

where do i get the universal chuck your talking about on your dremel i was thinking of cutting holes in a tank and i have a diamond dremel bit could I use this and what did you use to drill the pilot holes the roto zip bit????

aw2

Originally Posted by grmreapr
where do i get the universal chuck your talking about on your dremel i was thinking of cutting holes in a tank and i have a diamond dremel bit could I use this and what did you use to drill the pilot holes the roto zip bit????
I got it at Home Depot, where you find the rest of the Dremel bits. The pilot hole was also drilled with that same RotoZip bit.
Originally Posted by sharkbait9

wait your cutting glass or acyl :notsure:
3/4" glass

sharkbait9

WOW you got some set of grapefruits on you. I would be a nervous wreck drilling a hole with a roto zip or anything for that matter. Wish I had a set like you when it comes to drilling a hole in my tank.

signman

ok you talked me into it. just went and got the bit, put it in my roto zip and had at it.
works great drilled 3 holes in back of tank took 20 min. and a beer ot calm my nervers.
my tank is a 125g with 3/8 glass. thanks for the info

sharkbait9

:hilarious and abeer to clam my nerves, thats sounds about right. Maybe as chaser, after a helping hand from jack or O'l gran dad

my way

Why start in the middle of the hole? Why not mark your hole and drill at the edge to start the hole?

signman

because when the bit goes out he other side it sometime puts a chip in the glass. so if you start it the middle you just cut the chip out. roto zip works great but the bit gets dull after 3 holes but they are cheap so get a couple of them.

shiby1510

I don't quite get the water part... so you continously have water running on it?? doesn't this get your drill wet?
My tank would have some water in it because I want to get rid of my overflow box.. I read where you could use a spray bottle would this be okay?

my way

Originally Posted by shiby1510
I don't quite get the water part... so you continously have water running on it?? doesn't this get your drill wet?
My tank would have some water in it because I want to get rid of my overflow box.. I read where you could use a spray bottle would this be okay?

You need to keep the glass and the bit cool, which is the reason for RUNNING water over it. As the water runs, it takes the heat away much more efficiently than just spraying water onto it. I have read of people successfully drilling tanks with water in them, but would not suggest it. If it cracked, not only would it be very dangerous, it will make a mess and what about your tanks occupants?