How long after a water change do levels drop off ?

I guess the more appropriate question would be...
How long after a water change could/would test readings be different ?
Like amm. drop or ph rise, stuff like that..

bang guy

I would expect you would be able to obtain accurate measurements within an hour of a water change.
Assumptions:
1) You have excellent circulation without dead spots.
2) The salt has been mixed and has been aerated & circulating for 24 hours.
Why do you ask Mike?

My ammonia has been @ .25 for about 2 1/2 weeks (since I added fish). The recommendation was thrown out more than once to do a 10-15% water change. So, I setup some 5 gal buckets, filled and mixed the water, heated it and let it sit for almost a day with a whisper filter on them. I siphoned out about 10-12 gal and replaced the water with the new. Just curious if I need to wait longer to restest for ammonia. Also, I'm going to get some buffer stuff tomorrow to help bring my ph and alk back up. Biggest real "issue" has been the amm. though. Noone seems affected, my 3 sallys have all molted, the peppermints have grown bigtime, 1 of the emeralds molted and all of the fish are growing and eating. Stars are eating and one of the serpents that had lost 2 arms is making significant progress in re-growing it.
Well, I guess I could have given you the short story, but too late.
BTW, readings before were:
Amm - .25
Salinity - 1.023
-ites - 0
-ates - 30ish
ph - 8.1ish
alk - 240ish
I say ish because it was between the colors on the bottle.

Sammy .... I was quite shocked as well. I thought the first Sally had died, but then that night, out he came like he had just got a buff job (keep your minds on track guys !!!) Then 2 days later, another exo from a sally, then an Emerald. When the emerald reappeared we were shocked !!! It looked like he had alomst grown 1.5 times.
As for the amm. test kit, not sure on the brand, but you fill a tube, add 8 drops from bottle 1, then 8 drops from bottle 2, shake (not stir :D ) for 5 seconds then wait 5 minutes. The kit has pretty much ALWAYS read .25. It read 0 1 time when I checked at EXACTLY 5 minutes, then in about 1 more minute, it read .25. I'm thinking of getting another kit. But with everything growing and the inverts surviving, could I just have been lucky ?

bang guy

The fact that all of your crabs molted near the same time lends credence ot them being stressed. Shrimp & crabs will usually molt at times of stress like moving to a new tank, Iodide overdose, AMMONIA, etc. ;)
Is there a chance you have a large snail or sponge that has died? Maybe a mussel on a rock? Water changes are your best bet but your biologic filtration should be growing with the added ammonia and will soon be able to handle the increased load.
I see an algae bloom in your future but the water changes will reduce it significantly.
By chance, have you tested freshly made saltwater with your ammonia test kit?

azrile

If you are unsure about your test kit, try testing tap water. If you get the same readings as your tank, you have problems :)