How long do you store SW before using it?

reefkeeperZ

Pegasus pretty much nailed it down as to the why's and why not of mixing. I don't think I could have explained it as succinctly. I tend to ramble.

pegasus

My RODI is stored, so it isn't fresh. Usually it's a week old by the time I use it as I turn it back on to refill after I've done that week's water change.
If it's stored in a sealed container... especially if it's full... it's still fresh. If it's in an open container, carbon dioxide will migrate into the water... eventually. How long does this take? I haven't a clue...

Reef Crystals has it printed on the box: 2. Stir vigorously to ensure a good mix. Although Reef Crystals solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium." Since I'm not a scientist or chemist, I prefer to follow the recommendations of those that have been doing this for awhile, and mix at least overnight. Oftentimes, I'll mix a batch and let it sit (with power head and heater) for a week or two... until I decide to use it. Once it's mixed and properly aerated/agitated, it is safe for storage in a sealed container.

While it's not advisable to use a "fresh mixed" solution, it's okay for top-off as the small amounts added (especially with ATO's) won't make a significant difference in water conditions.
Thanks pegasus
You're welcome... ;)

silverado61

I let mine mix cold in a sealed 33g plastic garbage can with a power head running 24-7. I only turn the heat on 24hrs before I use it. If its sealed, it'll last forever as long as you keep a power head going. Heat produces more condensation and it'll evaporate faster. I just test salinity when I turn the heater on to make sure its balanced.

seecrabrun

Its a brute trashcan with its lid. Not air tight but not open to the room. I slowly use it through the week so it takes in more and more air.

flower

I try to do it at least 24 hours or more before hand, but if its mixed I'll let it sit indefinitely until I use it.
I agree...as long as the water is circulated, it's good. However water does evaporate while the salt doesn't, so before using my mixed water, I check the SG. I usually have water in my mixing tub all the time, when it gets low I add more RO water and more salt to have on hand when needed. Once a year Pesach (Passover)... I don't want the tub in the house, so I empty the tub by doing a water change with whatever is in there, and then clean the tub and store it until after Passover. Saltwater does "stain" the tub over time, vinegar takes care of that, and after a good few rinses it's back to the usual methods.

Oh and I use egg crate with a towel over it to keep out any thing that could contaminate it, but allows air to circulate.,.. a tight fitting lid will cause the water to stagnate....water needs air

flower

What about a bubbler instead of a power head?
Bubbles cause salt creep, a power head moves the water much better....The wave is the life of the ocean, and your saltwater tank. ***** has pretty cheap power heads that have a suction clip attachment, that work awesome, even better then the magnets...Not all of us can afford the MP40s

seecrabrun

I was thinking more like that would put more CO2 back in the water since it would pull air from outside the container.

reefkeeperZ

why would you want carbon dioxide (Co2) back in the water? not that thats exactly how it works. the dwell time for bubbles is too short for them to actually transfer much gas to the water, oxygenation (O2) through bubbles is caused by the water being circulated to the surface for exposure to the air. and as others mentioned powerheads are a more effective device for circulation.

that said: a bubbler is better than nothing

seecrabrun

ok what about Red Sea that says definitely not to mix their salt for more than 4 hours.

If I keep a RODI reservoir and the water is usually a few days old when I go to use it. Should I be doing anything different?

flower

ok what about Red Sea that says definitely not to mix their salt for more than 4 hours.

If I keep a RODI reservoir and the water is usually a few days old when I go to use it. Should I be doing anything different?
Hi,

The instructions actually say that? I haven't used that brand, but I'm surprised that it would say no longer than 4 hours, are you sure it says that and not...be sure to mix at least 4 hours?

silverado61

The salt is being mixed in your tank by power heads, return pumps, skimmers, etc so that doesn't make sense.
I keep a small power head runnng in my ato reserve to keep it from going stagnant. But that's just me.

flower

Right after seeing your post...I went on-line to Foster and Smith...they have detailed instructions on stuff they sell. The instructions say exactly what you have pictured..... EXCEPT the little detail of not mixing for more then 4 hours. Verrry interesting. I wonder if it means without aeration for no more than 4 hours, since it made a point of it within brackets, at the beginning of the sentence.

seecrabrun

I wonder if it is because they assume you are mixing it at room temp which is much cooler than our tank temp. So more likely to precipitate at that??

reefkeeperZ

some reef salts I have noticed over the years when you leave them in the mixing buckets will precipitate quite a lot, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that its because they have elevated levels well over NSW levels that if not used for water changes (which when adding to depleted tank levels) will lower the new waters levels below that overbalance that causes precipitation. i'm guessing that is probably why red sea does that, because their salt is so chemically imbalanced that it needs to be diluted down quickly so it doesn't precipitate and throw itself all out of whack.