How many Banggai's???

rberhow

We have a 55 gallon FOWLR for now, but will be a reef in the near future. We currently have a pair of false perc's, a valentini puffer and a yellow watchman goby in it. We would love to add some banggai cardinals but everything we read gives conflicting advice as to how many to keep together. Anyone have any experience with them and how many do you think we should add at the same time? Also, both LFS's are charging $30/each for aquacultured, does this seem pretty high or about right? Would rather not have them shipped but don't want to be robbed either.

bonebrake

From what I understand it does not matter how many you have (assuming you can support the bioload) as long as you do not have two males in the same tank. One male will eventually kill the other or harass it to death. I would recommend a male and female pair for a 55 gal.

bang guy

I agree, either a single or a male/female pair for Banggai.
Aquacultured are getting more & more difficult to obtain. Scarcity = higher price in this hobby.
$30 for a tank bred Banggai is much better than $20 for a wild caught one that will probably die in a week.

jasonj75

what is the easiest way to determine ---? ive heard that a rounder jawline would be female, and that a longer 2nd dorsal for male. is this true? is their an easier way? i just bought 2 about 2 weeks ago, ive kept one before, but this is my first attempt at a pair. hopefully they arent same ---, and possibly can breed for me. any suggestions???

bang guy

There is no way I know of to accurately --- immature Banggai. If yours fight then take one out and replace it with another.
If you need pointers on catching them in a reef tank just let me know.

rberhow

Thanks everyone. I can't believe the guy at the LFS tried to sell me 4 of them because he said the more of them the better because they are very shy and want to be together.
Bang Guy-glad to hear that $30 isn't outrageous, so maybe we will go pick up one or a pair from the other LFS. Any other tips you can give me for them? Are they pretty hardy eaters or will I need a special diet? Anything I need to watch for or monitor more closely with them in my tank? Thanks again everyone, stopped me from making a super huge mistake.

jasonj75

as far as feeding is concerned, mine i was told were captive caught fish. they were eating flakes and pellets at the LFS. ive been feeding brine shrimp and they eat like pigs!!! and luckily mine dont fight either, each of them stay at opposite ends of the tank for the most part... hopefully this is telling me that they are opp. ---!!! i guess only time will tell...

bang guy

For food I recommend Mysis Shrimp, Zooplankton, small Krill, or do what I do and grind up fresh seafood from the grocery store.

bemmer

Bang Guy,
Is there an online site you might suggest for purchasing captive breed Bangaii's? i am setting up a 225 main tank and a smaller seahorse tank. I was thinking of putting in five (one male and four females) Bangaii's in the main tank. I had always heard that odd numbers are best when you put in a small school of fish. Also, wouldn't these fish be good in a more docile seahorse tank. If I did put them in the seahorse tank, I would only put a pair in.
Thanks for your recommendations.

af330i

I've got 3 of them in my 65 gallon and since they are always from in the middle to higher part of the tank, they are the first fish I spot when looking at my tank.
They actually seem too big for my tank and if I had to do it again I wouldn't have purchased them.
They are so boring to look at as they pretty much do nothing ...

bemmer

You would not have purchased them because they are too big for your tank or too boring?? :thinking: