how many clowns for a 55 gal?

newbieabc

hey you guys, i was planning on getting 4-6 clown in my tank, but i have read that you can only have 2? Is this correct? if you can't, why is this because my dad must of had at least 8-12 clown in his 55 gal back in the day?
thanks in advance,
newbieABC

newbieabc

oh... ok thanks alot man!

dose it matter if i have any anemones yet i'm going to get some though. um... do you think i should have one clown for every anemone or something like that.
any sugestions on what anemones i should get.
i hane a peice of coral do you think they would host that.

laddy

Clowns do not need anemones in captivity. The difference in keeping just clowns, and keeping clowns plus anemones is the equivelent of running down the street to running in a marathon. Captive clowns will be just fine in a 55g by themselves.

newbieabc

oh ok, but what do you mean about the anemones. i dont really understand the whole running a marathon thing; sorry could you explain.

lion_crazz

Clownfish do not need anemones at all. I don't understand Laddy's metaphor there, but I agree with what he was saying.
Also, if you do not have metal halide lighting, I would not plan to get an anemone. They will not live very long in your tank without VERY strong lighting. They are a delicate animal and need experienced care. They also require an established aquarium.
Clownfish are a hosting fish, so more than likely, they will host just about anything. Heck, I have one that hosts a rock.
The only thing I would recommend is to get more live rock in that tank. Your tank will be a lot healthier, and the water parameters will be MUCH more stable.

chuckm1961

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Clownfish are a hosting fish, so more than likely, they will host just about anything. Heck, I have one that hosts a rock.
mine did that too .... wouldn't leave this little outcropping of rock ... until I got an anemone ....

bang guy

Originally Posted by newbieABC
if you can't, why is this because my dad must of had at least 8-12 clown in his 55 gal back in the day?
It depends on the species of Clownfish. Generally speaking if you have more than two then you will eventually have more than one female. The dominant female will continue killing competing females until you are left with two Clownfish, a male and a female.

newbieabc

hey bang guy, they were percula clowns.
and do you know if the percula clowns i'm going to get will host that peice of coral?

one more question, i have had a damsel in my tank for about 2 weeks do i need to clean my tank befor i get my clowns this weekend, my tank has been running for six weeks this weekend.

bang guy

Percula are one of the exceptions. You might be able to keep two pair in a 55. There's no guarantee though.