How many of you Ride Horses???

seannmelly

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
Sweeeeeet!

Thanks. I saw that you posted a picture of yours. Do you ride english or western and do you compete? Thanks
Melly

clown boy

I ride western. No, I don't compete, but the white horse used to be a barrel racing horse and the spotted horse used to be a patrol horse.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
I ride western. No, I don't compete, but the white horse used to be a barrel racing horse and the spotted horse used to be a patrol horse.
Very cool. I ride western horses...in my English saddle
lol. We had an ex-patrol horse at the barn I used to ride at. All I gotta say is I can see why he is an EX-patrol horse! lol. The horse in the last 3 photos could have easily been a patrol horse. Pretty level headed as long as he was work to do, has the size, and discipline.
Melly

alyssia

I would like to get a couple of horses in a few years (always been a city girl, moved to the country two years ago and LOVE it) but I don't know how to ride or take care of a horse. Is it terribly expensive to board them? I'd rather keep them with me. How do you go about learning to ride? Do you need to do riding lessons?

seannmelly

Originally Posted by alyssia
I would like to get a couple of horses in a few years (always been a city girl, moved to the country two years ago and LOVE it) but I don't know how to ride or take care of a horse. Is it terribly expensive to board them? I'd rather keep them with me. How do you go about learning to ride? Do you need to do riding lessons?
Boarding can be expensive. Where I used to ride, boarding was $350/month. But this included: 12x12 box stall, heated tack room and viewing room, use of Indoor arena, outdoor arena, trails, grain 2 times a day, hay, watering, turnout. But I have seen boarding for 350/month which was just field turnout, with no stall. It all depends on your area. When I was 9 years old I started taking lessons, and took lessons up until I moved. I took lessons once a week. I stopped taking lessons towards the end because I couldn't learn much more. If I had a competition, I would have a lesson to just polish up on things, and go over tests. Riding lessons is the best way you can go. It can also be expensive. But to me, it's the only way anyone can learn. Most barns have private lessons so you get one on one with the instructor. Another thing to think about is yearly vet bills, shots, worming, farrier, and all that good stuff too. It's expensive, and one of the reasons why I don't own my own yet...If you have another questions feel free to ask!
Melly

clown boy

Originally Posted by seannmelly
Boarding can be expensive. Where I used to ride, boarding was $350/month. But this included: 12x12 box stall, heated tack room and viewing room, use of Indoor arena, outdoor arena, trails, grain 2 times a day, hay, watering, turnout. But I have seen boarding for 350/month which was just field turnout, with no stall. It all depends on your area. When I was 9 years old I started taking lessons, and took lessons up until I moved. I took lessons once a week. I stopped taking lessons towards the end because I couldn't learn much more. If I had a competition, I would have a lesson to just polish up on things, and go over tests. Riding lessons is the best way you can go. It can also be expensive. But to me, it's the only way anyone can learn. Most barns have private lessons so you get one on one with the instructor. Another thing to think about is yearly vet bills, shots, worming, farrier, and all that good stuff too. It's expensive, and one of the reasons why I don't own my own yet...If you have another questions feel free to ask!
Melly
You definately want to go with lessons.

swlover

Hey I'll join in...we breed apps, and do the shows although we do speed events, barrels & pole bending. We also used to do do some team penning a while back, they closed down the place we used to practice at. We have 12 horses now, come spring we will have 3 mares to foal. Oh I love my horse..thats me and him in my avatar. My boy is 16, we got him when he was just 4, he is an american creme. Riding lessons are ok if you do english, but find the right coach, alot of things are changing, they don't want you to sit up on your seat bones now and alot of the older coaches still teach that. I never had a lesson, it was trail and error and alot of bumps and bruises...Be patient, understanding and lots and lots of love. Great to meet fellow horse lovers!

swlover

My computer crashed awile back and this is the only pic I have of our stud domino (barn name) Some Bright Idea is his papered name. He is 2 now, I need to take more pics of him and all the rest and put them on a disk. Sorry it's blurry.

rykna

I love riding horses. Use to all the time, but now I don't have the acreage. If there were such things large enough I would buy seahorses and ride them in my pool!!!!

alyssia

Melly

What is farrier? And what do horses require daily, other than cleaning their stall, feeding, and lots of love and attention?

clown boy

What is farrier?
A farrier is the person who trims and shoes the horses feet.

And what do horses require daily, other than cleaning their stall, feeding, and lots of love and attention?
I really can't think of anything. You may want to occasionally brush them and hoof-pick them.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by n2theblue
I've never posted a picture before, so hopefully this works. This is Buddy.
Very nice! What breed(looks thoroughbred), how old, how tall? Jumping, my favorite thing to do!! I was forced...into dressage shows...but hey whatchya gonna do, lol. I wish I had nice shots of me riding like yours!

seannmelly

What is farrier? And what do horses require daily, other than cleaning their stall, feeding, and lots of love and attention?
As clown boy has said, a farrier trims and shoes horses. However, I do believe strongly that it is hard to find a GOOD farrier, that does his job well. There are too many people that have a full schedule of jobs(other horses or another full time job) that just rush, and don't take the time it takes to do a horses feet properly. Every horse has different feet. They are EXTREMELY important to a horse, it is their foundation. I have been through too many bad experiences with A) them not even showing up to the job B) not properly fitting the shoe C) trimming too much off at one time, or other mistakes and causing the horse much more problems like absesses.
Daily horses require what you have stated above, and depending on the individual horse, may require daily riding also. It's a big commitment that should not be taken lightly. That's how I got to ride so many amazing horses as I did. Owners had the money for expensive horses, but didn't have the time that I did to ride and compete them...so needless to say, I got the better end of the deal!!

seannmelly

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
I really want to take English lessons.
Ballet, tap and jazz has all of my hobby time, though!
English is the way to go. It is so versitile(imo). There are so many things you can do. When I was in high school, I juggled riding everyday, a lesson once a week, Varsity Field Hockey, basketball, and Softball, and a part time job. Along with games, shows and getting some homework done. It's gotta be something you really like and really want to do.

sleasia

beautiful maine weave on that one pic!!! Ok this is risky because it really is like carbon dating myself....but...when I was younger (well ok alot younger) I got $3.00 a week allowance, and that is exactly what it cost to ride western for an hour on the trails...In those days, no guides came, and no one actually knew where the trails went. You just hoped you got back (on your horse) sometime within the hour!!!!
Now I just live vicariously through my children who also like to ride. This is my daughter.

alyssia

As clown boy has said, a farrier trims and shoes horses. However, I do believe strongly that it is hard to find a GOOD farrier, that does his job well. There are too many people that have a full schedule of jobs(other horses or another full time job) that just rush, and don't take the time it takes to do a horses feet properly. Every horse has different feet. They are EXTREMELY important to a horse, it is their foundation. I have been through too many bad experiences with A) them not even showing up to the job B) not properly fitting the shoe C) trimming too much off at one time, or other mistakes and causing the horse much more problems like absesses.
Daily horses require what you have stated above, and depending on the individual horse, may require daily riding also. It's a big commitment that should not be taken lightly. That's how I got to ride so many amazing horses as I did. Owners had the money for expensive horses, but didn't have the time that I did to ride and compete them...so needless to say, I got the better end of the deal!!

How often do horses need new shoes?
That sounds funny...