How many of you Ride Horses???

swlover

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
About once a year. Yeah, It does sound funny.

Actually every 6 weeks, horse hooves grow like finger nails. They must be pulled off trimmed and reshod or they will start to grow out of the hoof or just fall off, they will never stay on that long. We get ours shod every six weeks in the spring, summer and fall, in winter we let them go bare foot unless we are going to do some riding. Also to answer someone else question it is a good idea to interact with your horse everyday, not just riding, feeding and cleaning. Like any other part of your family, emotional support is very important and if they are alone they must be part of a herd weather it be animal or human.

clown boy

Originally Posted by swlover
Actually every 6 weeks, horse hooves grow like finger nails. They must be pulled off trimmed and reshod or they will start to grow out of the hoof or just fall off, they will never stay on that long. We get ours shod every six weeks in the spring, summer and fall, in winter we let them go bare foot unless we are going to do some riding. Also to answer someone else question it is a good idea to interact with your horse everyday, not just riding, feeding and cleaning. Like any other part of your family, emotional support is very important and if they are alone they must be part of a herd weather it be animal or human.
Yes, all of that it very true.

alyssia

What does reshod mean?

seannmelly

Swlover is right, but sometimes they need new shoes more often if they pull a shoe off and lose it or what not.

swlover

Luckily my hubby can set our horses shoes, we initially get them done by a ferrier but if they lose a shoe or gets loose he can do it...saves us a bundle. He also trims, we just don't have the equiptment to do our own shoes. Our pony has got to be the worst...we don't put shoes on her but we trim. She will kick your face in if she gets the chance!

seannmelly

Luckily my hubby can set our horses shoes, we initially get them done by a ferrier but if they lose a shoe or gets loose he can do it...saves us a bundle. He also trims, we just don't have the equiptment to do our own shoes. Our pony has got to be the worst...we don't put shoes on her but we trim. She will kick your face in if she gets the chance!
That's awesome that he's able to do that. I've seen alot of horses that are bad for the farrier. This one thoroughbred/arab took FOREVER to get his feet trimmed and re-shoed...because he would poop every 2 minutes or so! And other horses kick and all that great stuff. And at the thoroughbred farm I used to ride at, he would only do a couple horses a day because some of them were so bad. I think being a farrier has got to be one of the worst jobs, I don't envy them!

swlover

Originally Posted by seannmelly
That's awesome that he's able to do that. I've seen alot of horses that are bad for the farrier. This one thoroughbred/arab took FOREVER to get his feet trimmed and re-shoed...because he would poop every 2 minutes or so! And other horses kick and all that great stuff. And at the thoroughbred farm I used to ride at, he would only do a couple horses a day because some of them were so bad. I think being a farrier has got to be one of the worst jobs, I don't envy them!
No kidding they are not even paid nearly enough in my book! We have one thoroughbred app mare..what a whitch! Oh but her bloodlines go back to some of the greats, Man-O-war, T-N-T, 3 bars. She is in foal to our appy stud and his great grandfather is Bright eyes brother...we can't wait to see what she will throw next spring! I like the look of a TB, tall slender with great strides! Your lucky!

seannmelly

No kidding they are not even paid nearly enough in my book! We have one thoroughbred app mare..what a whitch! Oh but her bloodlines go back to some of the greats, Man-O-war, T-N-T, 3 bars. She is in foal to our appy stud and his great grandfather is Bright eyes brother...we can't wait to see what she will throw next spring! I like the look of a TB, tall slender with great strides! Your lucky!
I was VERY lucky to have the connections I did when I was younger and horseless!! lol. I've never actually owned my own horse, but I have alway ridden for people and shown for them, since I was 9 years old! One of my favorite horses I rode at the TB farm was a 1998 Bay TB gelding Sovereign Sis, 16.3 hands! What a sweetheart! And I worked alot with some of the racers and broodmares and babies! The worst brood mare was Bayonet Baghdad... W-I-T-C-H!!! And her baby was nasty too. Any time you even went near her stall, she would lay her ears back, bare her teeth and charge the bars! We also used to hot walk Dr. Albert and Aly Baghdad. It was awesome! When I finally settle down and start looking for a horse, it will most definately be a thoroughbred, or thoroughbred warmblood cross!!

jacknjill

we used to havea 17.2 hands saddlebred at my barn. She was beautiful! had crazyyyy hoof problems though.

swlover

My horse Frank is a shorty..only 14.2 hands almost considered a pony. But he is full of fire, makes him a great barrel horse. Tallest horse I ever rode was a TN walker about 17+ hands, and I'm short 5'4" it was like being on top of the world. A little intimidating, but I settled down and he rode like a dream...nothing like riding a walker. SMOOOOOTH ride! I was a "tester". we used to do the sale barns alot and they always picked me to "see" if the horse rode or not. I rode lots of different kinds of horses, mules and even a donkey! The best ride I gotta say was riding a big mule named Abraham, was a gaited mule, big about 16 hands. He was so gental and I rode him bareback with a halter and two lead lines..plow reined of coarse. The only reason we didn't buy him is he didn't like to load into the trailor...took 6 grown men and they still couldn't get him in there! They had to drug him to get him there the day before the sale...a little point the seller didn't tell!

seannmelly

My horse Frank is a shorty..only 14.2 hands almost considered a pony. But he is full of fire, makes him a great barrel horse. Tallest horse I ever rode was a TN walker about 17+ hands, and I'm short 5'4" it was like being on top of the world. A little intimidating, but I settled down and he rode like a dream...nothing like riding a walker. SMOOOOOTH ride! I was a "tester". we used to do the sale barns alot and they always picked me to "see" if the horse rode or not. I rode lots of different kinds of horses, mules and even a donkey! The best ride I gotta say was riding a big mule named Abraham, was a gaited mule, big about 16 hands. He was so gental and I rode him bareback with a halter and two lead lines..plow reined of coarse. The only reason we didn't buy him is he didn't like to load into the trailor...took 6 grown men and they still couldn't get him in there! They had to drug him to get him there the day before the sale...a little point the seller didn't tell!

I would NEVER buy a horse that wouldn't walk onto a trailer by itself. It is just a must if they are going to be shown. My trainer had an AWESOME thoroughbred mare Gemtone Girl, that WOULD NOT and I mean WOULD NOT load for anything! Whenever she would even see a trailer she would flip out!!! This mare had awesome movement and transitions, but would not load. They were giving her Relaxher, but it still didn't work for the trailering! But I am sure it didn't help that my trainer used a longe whip...which I did NOT agree with, I prefer using a bucket full of grain and strong will! lol. I like riding big horses, I don't know why. They have a bigger stride, so it's alot easier to get a 12ft stride to make distance to and from jumps. And in dressage its easier to compact a stride, then it is to work for extended in a short strided horse.

clown boy

We have a horse that we had to pull ropes around his rear and have someone standing behind him making noise with a whip to get him loaded.
:hilarious :scared:

seannmelly

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
We have a horse that we had to pull ropes around his rear and have someone standing behind him making noise with a whip to get him loaded.
:hilarious :scared:
Bud the 3/4 thoroughbred 1/4 clyde would not leave a show one day. His owner and I saw an older guy walking by and asked if he would help us, because we were one of the last people at the show because we had a few horses with only one trailer. He took a dressage whip and just tickled him w/ the little tail of the whip at the very top of his tail, and he practially jumped on the trailer. He said he used to drive horses all the time, and he would do what when he was driving them(I don't know why). It was pretty cool.