How many peppermint shrimp?

oceanjumper

I noticed I got a few umbrellas of aptaisa. Not knowingly, initially I thought it was cool: free anemones! However, one month later, more knowledge, it is advised to get rid of them ASAP.
So, I wonder, should I use kalkwasser or use peppermint shrimp. I did a search on this forum but no thread has really addressed it.
What would you do (or better, have you done in the past)? Kalkwasser or shrimp? I wanted to do a poll but can't get the thing to work. Also, if you would opt for shrimp, how many would you add to my tank (see signature for specifics but defintely note I have already a fire shrimp)? Cheers. Marc

bang guy

I would suggest both avenues. A pair of Peppermints is pretty cool, and they LOVE to eat baby Aiptasia.
Kalk the ones withing reach and let the Pep's get the rest.
Once you KNOW your Peppermints are eating Aiptasia you can use a toothbrush on the anemone. Do NOT use a toothbrush unless you know for a fact that YOUR Peppermints are eating Aiptasia. The shrimp will go nuts over a damaged anemone.

jcsurfn

What does Aiptasia look like? Does anyone have a photo? I think I might have some. I am not sure.

jakob4001

as many as you like...w/ enough they may even spawn in the tank for free food...make sure they ARE peppermint shrimps though...& they may or may not work as stated earlier...however, injecting anything into your tank for that porpose may have adverse effects on other tank inhabitants or corals...it may also cause the aptasia to reproduce as possibility of death or damage...apss may be pest, but they are wicked cool critters that can survive almost anything...