How much "$$$" do YOU have invested?

E

exile415

I'm still trying to take a picture of my bluethroat. But he moves around too much and it's blurry.

S

scighera

55gal
20gal (hospital tank)
80gal (empty)
2 yrs in the hobby
about est. $4000.00cdn - $4500.00cdn

E

exile415

Geez, my LFS must be cheap compared from what you guys are spending.

sundance1

125 reef,2x250watt MH,240 pounds of live sand,160 pounds live rock,ehime canister,2 whisper hob,1 Excalibur hob protien skimmer,5 powerheads,MANY corals,purple tang,yellow tang,2 cleaner shrimp,big cleanup crew,1 crocea clam,yellow watchman goby,3 PJ cardinals and a RO/DI unit.Easily $4,500.

murph145

about $7500 to replace my tank the way it is right now
100 gallon 2 - 250W DE MH with PFO pendants and ballast, 180W of 10K PC 1/3 hp chiller, 2 fluvals 404's, uv filter, skimmer, custom canopy and stand, power heads, 150lbs live fiji rock, lots of corals and fish and others!!!!
yeah if i woulda only known before i started how much i was guna spend lol i might have thought twice.... its been a lil over 2 years since ive started the tank but its been well worth the reward of seeing friends and neighbors coming over to show there children so they can learn and see things that lots of people never see.... my neighbor across the street told me he had never seen such a nice tank anywhere else before

1journeyman

Uggh.. don't even want to figure this...
210 tank and stand: 400
DIY 20 gal Ref. 100
Canopy DIY: 120
Lighting 1800
Pumps 360
HOB Skimmer 225
Bulbs 350
tonga, kaelini Fiji
uncure liverock 500
750 pounds sand 120
100lbs live sand 250
plumbing parts 50
extension cords,etc 100
total: $4375
why did I actually figure that...

Livestock I'm not too worried about... I introduce slowly so that doesn't hit the wallet quite as bad

dejaco

Okay - tank has been running 47 days now. 210 gal reef with a 45 gal sump tank, 2 quiet one 5000 pumps, 2 sea clone 100 skimmers, 6 maxi jet 1200 powerheads, magnum
canister filter with charcoal, 2 24" single bulb flourescents(for algae in sump), 2 72" VHO
flourescent light (160 watts each), 1 250 MH, exhuast fan, Titanium chiller, DIY stand & hood, timers, power strips, 200 lbs live rock, 160 lbs sand, 3 buckets instant ocean, various additives, Hagens Master test kit, plus copper test kit, Hydrometer, pinpoint pH monitor, various books, and finally lots of alcohol as a sedative! We kept a running total - now remember I started buying a tank set up from some one moving - but we have spent - $5,480.00 - without a single living creature in it. The amount of family time spent researching, planning, drawing, PLUMPING, electrical from main to 3 dedicated circuits, moving it, washing and curing live rock - ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS!
A family endeavor that everyone love and takes part in! :happyfish
:cheer:

oceana

i really have no idea over the 4 years we have had our reef i would guess around 10-11K to replace everything as is coral includded. heck it would be nearly 2k just for the rock alone. i try not to add it all up lol.

acrylic51

The amount of family time spent researching, planning, drawing, PLUMPING, electrical from main to 3 dedicated circuits, moving it, washing and curing live rock - ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS!
I honestly don't want to even add it up as of yet....Building a dedicated fishroom around my new 240 and haven't gotten water to it yet, and still have to get lights, and skimmer and already have min. $ 5-6 grand tied up....From all the electrical work, drywall, flooring, plumbing for filter room sink and running water, heating and A/C added to the room, custom built 6' sump done myself, and still not done.....I'm a DIY and it still adds up quick

ifusayso

Originally Posted by AER21
What size tank do you have, and how much money do you think you have invested in it? Pics would be great too.... I am new to the hobby, and ready to start a nice reef tank... Need some ideas on how painful this hobby can be... hehe
Thanks!
OCD+SW hobby= way too depressing to consider
Anyway, I have no clue of a dollar amount, but would say for my 55 gallon, thousands including the tank and stand. The lights and LR(expecting some tomorrow) were about $950 not including livestock, equipment etc.
I don't exactly have a reef tank either though, its a FOWLR extending to some hardy corals and I am very early in my plans.

popnfrresh

I have a 75GFOWLR (100 lbs lr, 100 lbs ls and 500$ worth of fish, 2 TF1000M , AC300, 29 g refuge, uvlight). a 28 G anenome/clown (fluval 204, seaclone 100, 130 watt lights,28 bowfront) and a 10G macro growing tank.
i spent about 500-600 on the 75
spent about 100 on 28g
spend about 5 on 10g...
Know where to get your stuff and it will be cheaper.

speg

Exile.. no offense but unless you stole some of that stuff there is no way it only cost you 1500. Did you get your lights/tank/equipment for free or something? Those three clams had to cost you at least 100 bucks.

fishieness

aww man...... i have two tanks and have only been doing this since january......... i try sooooo freakin hard not to think about it.
all i have to say is that it is worth every penny