How much do you tip the Delivery guy when they charge delivery fee?

miaheatlvr

I just ordered chinese take out and now they have implemented a $2.50 delivery charge.. If places start to do this, How much do you tip if my meal is $9.00 + tax and delivery fee of $2.50? Does the $2.50 go to the place? or too the driver? I mean a $9 lunch comes out to $15-$16. $9 lunch $2.50 delivery, $1 tax and an additional $2 tip? Whats your take.. haahaha lol

bionicarm

My local Pizza Hut started doing the same thing. My take on it is the delivery charge should be the tip. I was actually going to call the local Hut to ask the manager who gets this money. It could be the $2.50 in your case goes to the driver to help with his gas money and other car expenses. All I know is, if I don't give him an extra tip with the total bill, he usually has a pretty sour look on his face when he's walking away.

meowzer

I would also want to know if the fee is for the establishment or the driver....that IMO would make a big difference...IMO it should go to the delivery person..if it didn't.....I think I would complain and not order from there for a while....

reefraff

An extra 2 bux on top of the delivery fees is a small price to pay to not have the driver blow boogers on your pizza.

fishtaco

2 dollar charge, no worries if I could again be able to pick-up the phone and dial up for some dinner. Been 3 years since I have been able to and it is the one glaring drawbacks of living in the sticks.
Fishtaco

meowzer

Originally Posted by Fishtaco
http:///forum/post/3143245
2 dollar charge, no worries if I could again be able to pick-up the phone and dial up for some dinner. Been 3 years since I have been able to and it is the one glaring drawbacks of living in the sticks.
Fishtaco
I feel your pain....LOL...Being in stix OK...I would pay triple to get anything delivered to me

cranberry

Just last night I got online and ordered delivery. I don't even have to talk to anyone anymore.
There is a delivery fee... and we tip. The faster they are, the hotter the food, the better the tip. The delivery fee does not go to the driver.

aquaknight

Is the delivery fee standard on every order? Most places have like a minimum $10 or $15 order for delivery. So the fee might have been because your's was only $9? %%
I'd still tip the same, more if they get there soon, to rounding up if he's really late.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3143275
Just last night I got online and ordered delivery. I don't even have to talk to anyone anymore.
There is a delivery fee... and we tip. The faster they are, the hotter the food, the better the tip. The delivery fee does not go to the driver.
HMMMM...seems kinda crappy that the business is charging this fee...and a lot of people are probably taking it out of the delivery guys fees...

cranberry

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3143279
Is the delivery fee standard on every order? Most places have like a minimum $10 or $15 order for delivery. So the fee might have been because your's was only $9? %%
I'd still tip the same, more if they get there soon, to rounding up if he's really late.
Our bill is always over 15 bucks. Last night was the cheapest night we had in awhile, but the charge is even there when it's over 30 bucks. It's Dominos that charges.
Order Details
Order #: 45
Date: 9/24/2009 6:46PM
The following order is being delivered hot and fresh to your door:
1 Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
1 Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
1 2-Liter Coke®
1 2-Piece Order of Chocolate Lava Crunch Cakes
Food & Bev Total:
Tax:
Delivery Charge:$2.49
Total:

aw2x3

Doesn't matter where I am, what kind of food I order, if they have a delivery charge, etc...I ALWAYS tip. I've been there before...I know what it's like working in the food industry.
I order alot of pizza and both Pizza Hut and Dominos do a delivery charge, in my town. I found out that their $3 delivery charge, the driver only gets $1 out of it. On a $20 order, I'll toss the guy $4 or $5.
If I'm at a resturant, I'll tip accordingly. If it's been great service, I'll almost always tip at least 30%. I've been known of tipping 50%. If I have to wait 20 minutes to get a refill or wait an hour before my food is at my table, I'm not so anxious to tip as much...but I still tip.

flower

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/3143417
Doesn't matter where I am, what kind of food I order, if they have a delivery charge, etc...I ALWAYS tip. I've been there before...I know what it's like working in the food industry.
I order alot of pizza and both Pizza Hut and Dominos do a delivery charge, in my town. I found out that their $3 delivery charge, the driver only gets $1 out of it. On a $20 order, I'll toss the guy $4 or $5.
If I'm at a resturant, I'll tip accordingly. If it's been great service, I'll almost always tip at least 30%. I've been known of tipping 50%. If I have to wait 20 minutes to get a refill or wait an hour before my food is at my table, I'm not so anxious to tip as much...but I still tip.
LOL...me too. I figure eating out, or getting my dinner delivered is a treat for me. If I can't afford a tip then I can't afford to eat out, and cook my own food instead. 20% as a rule for me, maybe if service is fantastic 30%, never 50%
The booger comment from Reefraff, had me in stitches...

cranberry

If I get bad service I don't give a monetary tip... I give a written one. On the bill I say "Tip for the day: Good service will get you a nice big tip. Bad service will get you nothing. Guess which category you fell into today".
I never hold the service responsible for kitchen mistakes etc etc. I give 100% smiley service every single day. My "customers" should never know I'm having a crap day. If I can do it, anyone can. If you can't, I'm not giving to the money I got paid for my smiles.

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/3143328
Our bill is always over 15 bucks. Last night was the cheapest night we had in awhile, but the charge is even there when it's over 30 bucks. It's Dominos that charges.
I know, it's just that MIA's was only $9, and it was a Chinese place which, other then like P.F. Chang's (which doesn't deliver) are always little local/independent places, which I always try ordering from and they always have some type of minimum order.
Originally Posted by AW2x3

http:///forum/post/3143417
Don't forget to add the percentage if the waitress is a hottie & gives you a wink when she brings the bill...

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3143445
If I get bad service I don't give a monetary tip... I give a written one. On the bill I say "Tip for the day: Good service will get you a nice big tip. Bad service will get you nothing. Guess which category you fell into today".
I never hold the service responsible for kitchen mistakes etc etc. I give 100% smiley service every single day. My "customers" should never know I'm having a crap day. If I can do it, anyone can. If you can't, I'm not giving to the money I got paid for my smiles.
I was a waitress in NY for years as a 2nd job...."service with a smile" LOL...that was me....NO ONE EVER KNEW what kind of day i was having.....and believe me....when I lived in NY the days were pretty bad :(
I tip very well for good service... :)

aw2x3

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3143448
Don't forget to add the percentage if the waitress is a hottie & gives you a wink when she brings the bill...

Eh...that has no effect on me. lol
You can wink at me, show me your cleavage, flirt with me, etc. all you want...you're not working at a boobie bar...your tip is no better.

mantisman51

I'm with Meow. They won't drive the 20 miles out here to my home. Theoretically, I'd still tip 10% of the purchase, but not on the whole thing with the delivery added. I worked in college delivering for Pizza Hut back in 87-88. I got $1.50 per delivery + tips. Drunk college students are great. Especially when they try to out-tip each other. My best tip was $45 on a $25 order. Two drunk students were arguing over who would tip-then who would tip more. I actually tried to give most of it back and was told that it would start a fight between them, so I kept it.

reefraff

The way I look at it a tip is your incentive/reward to give good service. Throw a tude on me and I will leave a dime on the table. I just throw the driver a couple bux. Doesn't matter what the bill is. He gets his salary and his end of the delivery charge. I figure two bux for getting out of your car and walking up to the door is plenty. Of course if it was raining or snowing I would tip more but we tend to not order when the weather is nasty because it takes forever and I really wouldn't want to be the reason the guy got in a car wreck.

al mc

Delivery: I tip on top of the delivery fee. Like many other posters I do range
it from a minimum of $2. If it gets there quick and hot then $5.
We order lots of Italian/Pizza and I do feel that we get deliveries
quicker since our couple usual delivery places know us well and will
get a decent tip.
In restaurants: Minimum 20% unless we get poor service. Most wait staff
are college kids/young people and I can still relate to their lack of
income at that age.