How much filtration does LR and LS really provide?

benj420

Does anyone know how much LR and LS really contribute to overall filtration?
My question really comes from setting up a QT tank, and wondering how good just a HOB filter will be. Since I don't have LR or LS in the tank, will I have to do frequent water chages, or do the LR and LS really only provide a small amount of bio filtration and shouldn't have to do water changes any more frequently than in a tank with LR and LS?
Any help is appreciated.

jim672

Benj,
LS and LR provide a host site for the denitrifying bateria that are necessary in biofiltration. How much of each you need depends upon what your bio-load is, how big your tank is, etc.
So to answer your question kind of indirectly.......your Q tank will probably not ever have a significant bioload. Your HOB filter and some water changes should provide plenty of filtration/nitrate export. You probably won't have the bioload to support a skimmer. Leave the bottom bare but put in some rock for your new animals to hid in/under.
Jim

benj420

Thanks for the responses. The few fish I have brought home to this point have gone directly into my one and only tank. Now that I am starting my 55, I want to make sure I do it right.
I guess something about "water only" (with HOB filter) seemed like it would be more stressful on the fish becuase there isn't the "buffer" that the LS and LR provide.
Also, if I get a pair of clowns, is a 10 gallon QT large enough, or should I stop being cheap and spend the extra $14 on a 20 long?

jim672

Benj,
I understand what you're saying but think of it like this......the cycle or balance in your system is achieved over time......the time it takes the denitrifying bateria to grow a population big enough to keep up with the bioload of the tank. In a QT, the fish are in and out of there in about the same time (Cycle time=4 to 6 weeks)as it would take the bacteria population to increase. I believe once the fish are out, and the bioload is reduced (to nothing) the bacteria population will reduce as well.
Also, if you ever have to use your QT as a hospital tank, you don't want LR and LS if you need to use chemicals for your cure.
The size of the QT should fit the size of the fish you're going to put in it. IMO a 10 is fine for a pair of clowns. If you're ever thinking about adding larger fish, you'd probably want a bigger QT. Of course, if you did buy that 20, the HOB would be bigger and provide more filtration.....maybe addressing your concern?
(You also want a powerhead to move some water around.....I forgot that, sorry.)
Jim

bang guy

Originally posted by Benj420
I guess something about "water only" (with HOB filter) seemed like it would be more stressful on the fish becuase there isn't the "buffer" that the LS and LR provide.

You can dismiss the myth of Aragonite Sand or Rock buffering your water. It just doesn't happen. With a DSB some sand may slowly dissolve but not at any helpful rate.
You want as little as possible in the Q-Tank in case you need to medicate. Also, don't share ANY equipment between the Q-tank and the display. Not even the net.

S

starfishjackedme

For a QT tank I use a rubbermaid tub that has wheels at one end (nice!). It's about 45 gal and i got it at Walmart for $25 or so. I have a sand bed of 3" of homedepot sand (quickrete, not southdown). It works fairly well after being cycled with shrimp and nitrates stay around 10. The only thing that sucks is that it has to be topped off manually. I might buy a float valve for it if i get too lazy. :D

benj420

Originally posted by Bang Guy
You can dismiss the myth of Aragonite Sand or Rock buffering your water. It just doesn't happen. With a DSB some sand may slowly dissolve but not at any helpful rate.

I guess "buffer" wasnt' really the word I wanted to use. I really meant margin of error in terms of filtration. I just wanted to know if not using LS or LR would require a much greater need for water changes because of not having the filtration of the LR and LS. I wanted to see if someone would say "I do a 10% change monthly in my display tank, but in my QT tank I have to do a 10% change every three or four days because blah blah blah....." or "You should expect to change the water in the QT just about as often as if it had LR and LS".
Make sense?

bang guy

oops... yep, the misunderstanding was on my end, sorry.
There are many ways to export nutrients. Water changes will work, DSB will work, etc. You really should have some type of export though. If you're not harvesting Algae, Xenia, whatever and you don't have a DSB, then water changes should be increased.... unless you don't feed your tank, but that's another story.