How much have you spent on your reef?

ducky

my first SW tank I spent probably $5K on and since I got my new one in april this year I have spent at least that much more.
This is a very expensive hobby.

dragonboy

Too much to remember or to start counting. Its a hobby that where the money spend just keeps going and mounting. But you cut corners and find ways to do it cheaper.

pondy

I try not to think about it. Its to much money I could use in other places and well, if I think about it then I get wondering whree all the money went
cause no matter what I get it isnt enough.

quakstar

I just print my cash out that is really what you have to do to be in this hobby... This hobby is also an addiction one of high magnitude I have seen folks walk in to the LFS and be like what can you do me for 5 dollars haha

phelpz

I just buy frags. Or make my brother into feeling bad enough to give me frags. I havent bought anything new for my tank in a month or so.
Counting the 12G tank, and everything at least $500 in the last couple months. It racks up fast.

C

calvertbill

$13,127.12 so far and I still need about 300 lbs. more live rock before I add my first invert.

petjunkie

I stopped counting at $1000 and that was over two years ago. I don't want to know really, then I don't have to admit it if anyone asks.

m0nk

My 12 gallon ran close to $400 (including live rock, coral, sand, fish, water, etc), and the 55 gallon over $1000 (though the figure could be closer to $1500+ at this point, not totally sure) - initial equipment for the 55 gallon ran around $500.
I'm still planning a 180 gallon, which should be up by xmas '08, but just the equipment for that is estimated over $3000 so I'll probably piece it together as the budget allows.

grumpygils

92 Corner including all coral dead and alive. 8K
Frag Tank including all coral 2K
24 Nano 1K
29 Nano 2K
54 Corner 2K
Tanks no longer up or changed over 5K
Frags and equipment sold +3K
Stupidity, ignorance, impatience
Monthly Electrical bill $450-600/month
So I am about 20K into it over 2+ years. Gee, seems less when you pick away at it. This info will not be shared with my wife and you all have 10 seconds to destroy this e-mail.
Mc

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Calvertbill
$13,127.12 so far and I still need about 300 lbs. more live rock before I add my first invert.

Calvert, what are you building?
Mc

S

swalchemist

To many tanks, lots of $$$ coral alone over $10,000 (all LE coral in one system) I dont think about the cost anymore just keeping everythign alive.

T

tiberius

I never want to think about it. I had this tank for 21 years so that is a lot of salt and bulbs. Plus, I had 7 tanks set up at the other house. If I ever started thinking about the money I put into it, it wouldn't be as enjoyable!