how much is cheap lr?

barchtruong

Local lfs sell them for $5.00 per pound.
I ordered online 100lbs, $3.40 a pound shipping included.
I saved $160.
Sounds like a big save. But it was $338, that is alot of money

Just curious how much rock did other people put in your tank? and how much did you pay for them? and how much did you save.

lion_crazz

The cheapest live rock I have ever purchased was $2.99/lb. and it was the store's best sale price. All of my other rock cost $3.79/lb.
$338 seems like it would be a lot of money to spend on rock, but you just have to remember that it is one of the most important things you will put in your tank.

kmc

I paid between $5 and $6 a pound but I only have around 30lbs. I like to get it where I can see it first and pick what I want.

W

weatherby

Originally Posted by barchtruong
Local lfs sell them for $5.00 per pound.
I ordered online 100lbs, $3.40 a pound shipping included.
I saved $160.
Sounds like a big save. But it was $338, that is alot of money

Just curious how much rock did other people put in your tank? and how much did you pay for them? and how much did you save.
$3.40/lb INCLUDING shipping?!?!

I'd ask where but I'm sure I'll get slapped on the wrist for asking that sort of thing here....

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Weatherby
$3.40/lb INCLUDING shipping?!?!

I'd ask where but I'm sure I'll get slapped on the wrist for asking that sort of thing here....

Saltwaterfish.com has a sale for their live rock where you can get 50 lbs. for $185 (free shipping). That is $3.70 per pound. That is pretty darn good!

W

weatherby

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Saltwaterfish.com has a sale for their live rock where you can get 50 lbs. for $185 (free shipping). That is $3.70 per pound. That is pretty darn good!

What sort of growth is there on that rock? Just plain 'technically' live rock, or is it full of growth and hitchhikers etc?

barchtruong

wow, ok...
you guys make me feel beter, at least I am not the only one who spent a crazy amount of money on rock.
So $3.40/lb is a good deal, great..
My rocks came in very nice. There were just some sand to clean off. very few die off and no stringy stuff around the rocks. No fishy smell, So, I guess that's what they called "cured". But my rocks are very colorful when I received them. All sorta colors like, dark purple, lavender and med purple coraline algae. Got some green stony corals on them. Got some red, orange and pink colors on them, too.

royal gang

$6.00 a pound, i got 45 pounds for $2.60 a pound,and $3.60 a pound for 50 pounds in total that comes to $320.00 for 95lbs of live rock, average of $3.50 a pound, it would have been $570.00..i saved $250.00 dollars :scared: :scared: :scared:

royal gang

Originally Posted by PolarBear1
That is good deal lfs around here are 6 to 8 dollars a pound i payed under a dollar for all mine
whos got a good deal? X |

petjunkie

When I first started my pet store had crap rock for $10 a pound so I bought five pounds, then I found a guy selling a 33 and 55 gallon w/ double tank stand and 65 pounds of live rock for $300. Then the pet store switched owners and I sold them back their rock because it was lava rock and looked fake. Online or from someone getting out of the hobby is the best deal for live rock.

maelv

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
No, it is beautiful, growth and alage covered rock.
Lion, and getting it from here, do we have to cure it, rinse it off, anything? Or just throw it in the tank....

f14peter

Originally Posted by maelv
Lion, and getting it from here, do we have to cure it, rinse it off, anything? Or just throw it in the tank....

Don't want to speak for Lion, but I believe the general consensus is that any rock that is shipped will have some die-off, so either re-cure it or be prepared for a possible increase in ammonia (and then nitrites). If going into a tank that's being set up and has no lifeforms in it, then it can go right in . . . I re-cured my shipped LR in my tank as it was just being set up.

maelv

Originally Posted by f14peter
Don't want to speak for Lion, but I believe the general consensus is that any rock that is shipped will have some die-off, so either re-cure it or be prepared for a possible increase in ammonia (and then nitrites). If going into a tank that's being set up and has no lifeforms in it, then it can go right in . . . I re-cured my shipped LR in my tank as it was just being set up.
Thanks, I guess I should have just asked everyone...
...So in recuring, how exactly is this done? Scrub off all loose particles, place in a tub with heater and powerhead and let is sit? how long? details, I need them please...ha ha ha ha.......even though I am starting mine from scratch, it is nice info to have for future.

polarbear1

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
whos got a good deal? X |
Me and my friend bought out a 120 gallon with over 400lbs of rock and coral. We also got what he had in a 55 gallon trash can that he had a mated pair of gold strip marroons. Now I have it all bought friends tank a while back.

royal gang

premium fiji live rock, if it's carribean then i can get that for 2.25 a pound for tonga branch $3.30 lbs a pound :eek:

f14peter

Originally Posted by maelv
Thanks, I guess I should have just asked everyone...
...So in recuring, how exactly is this done? Scrub off all loose particles, place in a tub with heater and powerhead and let is sit? how long? details, I need them please...ha ha ha ha.......even though I am starting mine from scratch, it is nice info to have for future.
You pretty much got it down . . . gently scrub off any obviously dead thingies, and put in a tub with a heater and PH. Also, change the water periodically, where I got my LR from suggested once a week with an ocassional scrub-down, but depending upon die-off, maybe more often.
When is it done? Essentially, it's done curing when you can no longer detect a skanky smell . . . your after that "morning fresh" rock.