How much money have you wasted?

bgrae001

Originally Posted by Dinogeorge
I could have paid if the national debt….

That's funny.
I think that I could have sent my kid to Harvard!

renogaw

i probably have only wasted about $100-$200.
$15 on a scraper that just stunk
$15 on a hydrometer
$30 on a pearly jaw that jumped THROUGH eggcrate...
misc test kits that were not in any shape or form accurate
money on shipping costs only to have the coral die because the shipper shipped wrong...

tmgpp

after one year, i am proud to say that i have lost zero dollars. i have yet to lose a fish or a coral. I don't have a clean up crew, because they are all wild caught, but my tank looks great even without snails or crabs (only a little algae).

lexluethar

Only been in the hobby 10 months, and on my 29 gallon probably around 150 dollars on everything that I didn't need and a few inverts that died. Stupid things like a stock canopy and a hydrometer...

alix2.0

Originally Posted by m0nk
I don't think that anyone here would agree that they've really wasted money, it's all a learning experience, and if you learn how to keep 15 fish alive because of how that one or two died, it's valuable experience. You also learn by what equipment you use, too. If one thing doesn't work but another does, then that's valuable knowledge. Every tank is different, so what works for one person won't for another. That's how we usually end up with "spare parts", hehe.
i totally agree. if it wasn't for the money that i "wasted" my tank would probably be a complete toxic mess right now.

jpc763

What I consider a waste of money is when I get buyers remorse!
For instance, I spend $100 on a protein skimmer and a month later I decide I really should have bought a $200 skimmer. That is $100 down the drain!
In my case, that would start with the tank! A 55g is just too small when you get right down to it. I should have started with at least a 110g tank!
So in theory, everything I have invested in hardware that would not transfer to a 110g tank (stand, tank, skimmer, lights, fuge, etc) would be considered wasted.
Now I don't want to think about it!

Originally Posted by jpc763
What I consider a waste of money is when I get buyers remorse!
For instance, I spend $100 on a protein skimmer and a month later I decide I really should have bought a $200 skimmer. That is $100 down the drain!
In my case, that would start with the tank! A 55g is just too small when you get right down to it. I should have started with at least a 110g tank!
So in theory, everything I have invested in hardware that would not transfer to a 110g tank (stand, tank, skimmer, lights, fuge, etc) would be considered wasted.
Now I don't want to think about it!

i agree with you i should have bought stronger lights to begin with .....mh other than power compacts !!! etc....

J

jesses89

Me? probably around 3,000$....
in the past year? probably like 60 bucks....
i havent really lost anything in my tank or bought something i didnt need.
i know what i need so i dont go off wasting money on stuff i dont.

slomo

I wouldn't say i wasted money, i would do things differently. bigger tank, different substrate, painted the back, different tank for better lights. Maybe put the tank in the wall to hide all the uglies..... There's always next year

al mc

Wasted?
I consider that I am a true patriot and supporting our economy by spending instead of saving!

66chuck

As much trouble as I've had with my tank, I'm starting to think it is all wasted. I just lost another fish this morning. I'm really starting to dislike this hobby.

dinogeorge

Originally Posted by Al Mc
Wasted?
I consider that I am a true patriot and supporting our economy by spending instead of saving!

As spoken by a true addict! You sound like me man. I don't have a problem...I'm just helping the economy.

angler man

Originally Posted by 66chuck
As much trouble as I've had with my tank, I'm starting to think it is all wasted. I just lost another fish this morning. I'm really starting to dislike this hobby.
Just keep pouring more money into it! That's how the politicians supposedly fix everything!

mie

There is a reason why you keep losing stuff. Find out and fix it, than money loss wont be as great.